Calabogie Boogie and Madawaska Rides: Fuel

skidoorules

Hi there,

I have a yz250F 2008 with a 7L tank. I have only been out once on the bike as I am just getting back onto 2 wheels but on my first ride I got +/-1.25L/hr of riding. It was say 50% roads, 50% trails. I would like to attend the Calabogie boogie and the Madawaska ride. The Calablogie ride says fuel is available at lunch which should be say 4 hours into the ride. Therefore I should be at say 6L and have 1L remaining. Thats a little close...anybody have any experience on riding the boogie and/or the Madawaska ride on a yz250f. Can I make it without any problem or should I invest the $300+ in an IMS 12L tank?

weekender

Both the Calabogie Boogie and the Algonquin ride are doable on an MX tank... However, you will have to be selective about which options you take. Both rides have an 'orange' loop that will be about 50 - 70 km between gas stops. Your bike *should* be able to manage that. The issue is that there are a lot of really fun 'pink' trail options that you can take off of the orange trail. These pink options will add extra mileage. Typically, these pink options are a little more technical as well, which means lower gears and more gas per km. However, for a lot of riders, the pink options are what make the ride. That said, if this is your first year back on a bike in a while, you may not want to venture onto a lot of the pink trails due to increased difficulty.

If you don't want to spend the $$ on a tank, you could do what some of the guys were doing in Nevada this spring... fill two 1 liter camping fuel containers with gas and pack them in your backpack. Drain them into your tank at the earliest opportunity to get the extra weight off your back. Get your riding buddy to carry one or two more, and you'll definitely be fine for fuel. :)

You can also play with the jetting on the bike to lean it out a bit to give you better mileage.

Come on out to the Club Spring Ride on May 30th to get a feel for how far the bike will go on a ride using trails typical to those of the Boogie and Algonquin rides.

Worse case scenario, for the boogie ride, I can let you know where to preemptively place a fuel container half way between the start location and the lunch / gas stop, and another location between lunch and the finish line (both accessible by car).

Trevor.

skidoorules

I think we are planning on hitting the club ride but my bike is likely too loud to make the ride. I am in the process of getting it quite (db dawg) but not sure I will have it by then.

I think the bike is about a lean as I would like it to be so that option is likely out.

My buddy was suggesting the camping fuel containers as well. Are those the green bottles about 6" in dia and say 8-10" tall or now that I think about it more likely the clear heavier plastic container thats about 3" in dia and about 12" tall? I just don't want it to leak onto my back! Just to make sure I think I will carry at least one of those with me as I would like to take the more technical versions for sure.

Thanks for the advise!

weekender

This is the type of fuel container I had in mind: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302696497&bmUID=1273281812798

It is aluminum and shouldn't leak. The guys who used these containers in Nevada didn't seem to have any issues. They are intended to carry fuel and the caps are designed accordingly. It sounds like this is likely the type of container your buddy was suggesting as well.. there is a green variety from a different manufacturer: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...T<>prd_id=845524442632527&bmUID=1273261696532

Regarding the club ride... If you've already ordered the db dawg and are showing a commitment to quiet your bike, I suspect we'll let you join the ride even if the part hasn't arrived yet. You'll just have to be extra careful while driving past populated areas to keep off the throttle. That said, the club ride is still three weeks away so sourcing the part shouldn't be an issue by then (unless it is on backorder).

skidoorules

I have to go to mec in Ottawa for a hydration pack, I will check them out. Thanks for the information.

Also on the dawg, I'm positive I can have the part, just not sure it will put me under the sound restriction. I could be at 96 rather than 94.

skidoorules

Thanks for the link to the fuel bottle. I picked it up last night. Got my order which was supposed to include my db dawg but they forgot to put it in the box :?