Calabogie Area in late April?

tenny80

Hey folks,

A buddy and I have been street riding for a few years now and decided to get into dual sports this year so we picked up some bikes over the winter and have them ready to go. We had both booked a few days off work for a 5 day trip to Virginia on the street bikes but now his street bike is having issues and cannot make the trip.

The date is from April 27 - May 1

1. Would this be to early in the season for riding in Calabogie?
2. Any good campgrounds to recommend that are open that early in the season? We could commute from Kingston, but it would be cheaper to just camp and leave more time for riding!
3. Any recommended trails for 2 new riders with a total of about 20 minutes dirt riding experience each lol. I saw the hydroline horror video and that looks like something we could tackle!

Hello,

1. Is it to early? Depends where you go and the type of trails you do. If your doing roads and double track, it should be fine.

2. There's lots of spots for camping in the Calabogie area. The first link below is google maps for Redhorse lake. Check out the 3rd link for where there are paid campsites, Redhorse, Mair and Govan lake are good spots (with land access). You can book a campsite thru the 2nd link.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/No...m2!3m1!1s0x4cd3ae5014892fcf:0x7db178b04f79e9a

http://www.northfrontenacparklands.com/

http://nftwp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=908f0703684d41dd8d1ec96e1be2111f

3. I would recommend posting this question in the D-S rides section of the BMA forum. When I had a dual sport bike, I'd use this time to ride dual sport. The single track trails are still pretty wet, and the dual sport routes should be in good shape. That, and it's better to find yourself on a too easy trail than stuck on a trail that is too hard.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the BMA forum. :)

zedro

Hopefully Blake will chime in after his South side ride today. We did the north side last week and there was snow where it got packed in by sleds and ATVs, otherwise everything was fairly dry. I'm guessing it's only patches in the shade left.

greybeard

On Sunday, Chris, Roy and I rode the Perch Lake routes, 20 minute workout and others starting near Clyde Forks. Trails were in great shape, a few small bits of snow and ice, lots of water but solid ground underneath. Great day, and I rode my new 500 - awesome bike. Bill

Skyllz

greybeard":1qpckdba said:
On Sunday, Chris, Roy and I rode the Perch Lake routes, 20 minute workout and others starting near Clyde Forks. Trails were in great shape, a few small bits of snow and ice, lots of water but solid ground underneath. Great day, and I rode my new 500 - awesome bike. Bill

Awesome!

greybeard":3h6l4dtk said:

Bill did your new 500 have enough bottom end for you?