blue or green plate

RnR

Hi everyone. New guy here with, or course, questions. :)

I'm 43 and haven't played in the dirt in over 20 years, a shame really sticking to just pavement. The urge to return has been getting pretty strong. It's at the point were I'm researching bikes and what's happening in the local off-road community. All of which has led me to the BMA.

The question I'm trying to get past is blue plate vs. green plate. I don't need to tell you the selection of bikes is greater if only a green plate is required. The FJR works fine on the road and I'd just as soon have a second bike strickly for trails. But will this be a handicap? Say if some of your group rides connect trails between public roads? I have no problem with the idea of trailering. I'd probably do it anyways even with a highway license.

Oh and my dirt experience was on mid 80's mx, RM125 and RM250. Riding was on more enduro style terrain that motocross. I imagine myself gradually getting back into the groove and shape where maybe I could participate in some enduros or hare scrambles.

I look forward to adding to your membership and someday joing you on the trails.

Thanks,
Rob

A

Anonymous

As far as I know, a new (off the showroom floor) offroad bike can be blue plated. A "previously enjoyed" bike can only get a green plate (usually). In the BMA we try,as much as possible, to stay off of public roadways but the reality is that we do have to use them as transfer routes. But I have never heard of a green plated, insured and quiet bike being ticketed if the rider is not drawing attention to himself (speeding, wheelies, etc.) on a public road. A little common sense goes a long way here along with a cooperative attitude if stopped. Obviously, riding your blue plated offroad bike down Bank Street is asking for trouble. But riding a green plated bike down a dirt road in Calabogie, in a responsible manner, to connect trails seldom draws any attention from law enforcement. BTW come join us for the Oct. 1 trail ride if you have two wheels. Great way to meet people and get a feel for what we're all about.

RnR

I'd like to join in on Oct.1 but have no ride yet. The budget is going to push that purchase until next spring. If I'm out on the FJ I might wander by to see what people are riding, maybe say hi. Actually if there's any volunteer work to be done I wouldn't mind helping out.

And thanks for the input.

Bamster

As far as I know, a new (off the showroom floor) offroad bike can be blue plated. A "previously enjoyed" bike can only get a green plate (usually)

I bought my WR that was previously enjoyed and previously blue plated.
All I needed was a saftey check.

Maybe you mean if the bike is used but never blue plated it can be a hassle to get a blue plate.

Some newer models are getting little harder to get blue platted.
I have heard the 2 stroke KTM are going to be near impossible to road plate
but the 4 stroke 400, 450 and 525 are going to come with street equipment.
There is always Husky and Gas Gas too
2007400.jpg

A

Anonymous

But most mechanics would not give an offroad bike a passing safety check because the bikes are actually a long way from street legal? But if you know the right person.....(???)

RnR

Yes, a new EXC would be awesome. I don't know of the exact price and how it may compare to an XC. That's one of reasons I asked the plate question. And there's the WR too. It looks like a great bike and less expensive than the KTM. Especially if I found a left over 06.

weekender

If your intent is just to have fun on the trails in Calabogie, I wouldn't bother getting a blue plate. Like you say, it really limits the bike selection, and the insurance premium is slightly higher.

Doug

Administrator
weekender":1r3jy8m5 said:
If your intent is just to have fun on the trails in Calabogie, I wouldn't bother getting a blue plate. Like you say, it really limits the bike selection, and the insurance premium is slightly higher.
It's a matter of limiting bike selection...or limiting riding selection.
Nine times out of ten a Green plate SHOULD be enough in any of our more remote riding areas as long as you're not blasting along a paved main highway. But even then, green plates are technically lot legal on even gravel concession roads and other back roads you often need to loop up the "green plate" legal trails. Nine times out of ten most police and other officials will probably be happy you made the effort to actually license and insure the bike and take in account where you are. It's just that tenth time that can make all the difference! :!:

As for insurance, off-road rates SHOULD be a lot cheaper...the risks are not the same. The reality is that a lot of off-road policy rates out there are little or no better then a good "street" policy rate while offering far less versatility.

RnR

True, I'm close to Calabogie. That's likely where I'd spend most of my time. Given the comments it's seems blue plate is the way to go. Plus I don't want to shut the door on any organized rides that require a highway plate.

Next I'm going to see how hard/expensive it would be to get a WR450 plated from a dealer. The EXC is still definately a possibility depending on price and availability. I have a feeling the 07s will fly off the floor.

Thanks for all the input! :)

Rob

Skyllz

Quick question then about thsoe Blue and Green plates, i'm from Quebec and here we have either off-road plates or full road plates. No in-between like you guys seems to have.

The bikes are still registered and insured but i'm wondering how often those trails have a small run to do on the road. Last thing I would want in a efty ticket to rain on a nice day.

Unless it's labeled dual-sport from the factory You can register an off-rad bike for road use anymore, they changed some laws last year and alot of enduros that managed to have full-road plates before have been denied renewal, off-road only.

So does it happen often that there is a road to make a few kms on in the calabogie area for example?

Pierre, whoès shopping and would rather have a WR450 then a DRZ400...

A

Anonymous

Skyllz":3pehky8v said:
Quick question then about thsoe Blue and Green plates, i'm from Quebec and here we have either off-road plates or full road plates. No in-between like you guys seems to have...
Actually Ontario IS the same. No in-between...just the usual "grey area" that surrounds all off-road bike legalities...which is the heart of the discussion here I think!

RnR

Just to update. Now have a blue plated WR. Picked up a Trick Dual Sport kit. Had to fabricate a license plate and signal light mount.

I will see what I could do about posting some pics, if anyone's interested.

Rob

Crazy2

I bought a 2006 WR450 and blue plated the bike. I needed to install a hydraulic brake switch, horn, mirror and DOT tires. That was all. The rear tail light is a dual element which makes it easy to add the brake light. I did all the work myself and then took the bike to a dealer who is certified to conduct the safety check. Once you have the necessary paper work for the MTO, your all set. Mount the license plate and go riding.