Bike Opinions Please.

troy

I currently have a dual-sport bike and am considering buying something more adept for the trails next spring.

I am 5'5", 140 pounds. I have ridden both the TTR230 and the CRF230F and have no issue with the size, but would prefer something with better suspension, more power and less weight.

Initially, I am thinking about the KX100, KTM 105XC and Honda CR150R.

Any comments on maintenance requirements for these bikes is also appreciated. i.e. differences for 2 and 4 stroke bikes list above.

Thanks,
Troy

ktmkevin

Troy; your didn't give any indication of your skill level and this is an important consideration. If you are able to aggressively ride something like a CRF 230 then the bikes you listed as potential candidates may be too "small" for you and they are all "competition" oriented and may not be the best choice for trail riding. Sounds to me like you might want to look at the enduro 250 four strokes (WR, CRF-X etc.). These bikes are extremely popular right now and will give you more power and more suspension but won't, alas, be any lighter than a 230. If seat height is a problem any specialty bike suspension shop can lower the bike by an inch or two with virtually no side effects. If weight is the biggest concern then I suggest you consider the KTM 200. This bike also has a large following among trail riders. I could go on for hours about 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke maintenance issues so it's best that I don't start. I suspect your questions might generate some debate.

troy

I am still riding back roads (including roads like k&P, California and New Road) and Limerick. Based on other posts I have read on this forum, I believe that makes me a beginner.

xmccann

I would not recommend the KX100, because I find the power to wheelbase ratio to be way off. I way about 165 and had a hard time keeping the front wheel planted. The delivery is pretty abrupt as well - kinda seems like it's all or nothing. In short I think hard to handle, especially on tight trails. I haven't tried the KTM 105 or the new CRF150R, so can't comment.

I personally do trails (Limerick, White Lake, etc.) and Sand Del Lee, so decided to go with a KTM 125SX - light, good power and (IMHO) not too difficult to maintain. I haven't modded it at all, but some guys will soften up the suspension and add a flywheel weight to better adapt to woods riding.

I have friends who simply love their KDX220Rs, so you may want to check out that model if you're not planning on taking it to the track.

Hope this helps.

ktmkevin

Agreed: the KDX is an excellent trail bike and reacts well to thoughtful modifications (I have ridden a few) but, unfortunately, Kawasaki chose to discontinue the model a few years ago. But if you can find a clean used model at a reasonable price then jump all over it; you won't be sorry. Personal beef time: what the h*ll are the Japs thinking when they drop super reliable trail horses like the KDX and the XR 250/400's (among others)????
These bikes would sell in profitable numbers (with the usual BNG) for years to come AND the tooling is already paid for!!!!! A XR250 and a CRF250X don't cater to the same type of rider!

Skyllz

ktmkevin":2ina5u0e said:
Personal beef time: what the h*ll are the Japs thinking when they drop super reliable trail horses like the KDX and the XR 250/400's (among others)????
These bikes would sell in profitable numbers (with the usual BNG) for years to come AND the tooling is already paid for!!!!! A XR250 and a CRF250X don't cater to the same type of rider!

Agreed 200%.

RnR

Hi Troy,

Careful on the WRs, the seat height is 38.6". I'm thinking you will want to be at 35" or less. The full size KTMs are all 36.something. I can notice the height difference throwing a leg over. I'm sure there's a number of ways to bring them down an inch or two. Do a search on www.ktmtalk.com or pay Woody a visit.

BTW I rode an '08 200 XC-W on Friday. Awesome bike! It might give you a fighting chance of keeping up with your boys ;-)

Rob