Bears

Not sure if anyone caught the news about this past weekend. Two fellow riders were attacked by a Sow Grizzly bear in Alberta. The fellow that is in hospital right now is lucky to be alive. The other rider is a close friend of mine(Jim Hanson) and was the person who got me hooked into ORM's. Lucky for the both of them that they had some gear that saved their lives. Both riders are pretty banged up and if it wasn't for Jim that rider would be dead and possibly him too.

This has hit pretty close to home as we ride in areas where there are bears (not Grizzlies) and I can't stress enough to ride in groups and always have a safety plan. I know this may not be the place for it but I kinda needed a place to vent. Sorry.

Jessie

Sorry for your friend misadventure.
It is true that there is some risk going in the forest even when two or more. Higher is the risk in the forest when alone. It is definitely highly recommended and safer when you are in a group of two or more. If you are alone, it is a lot more hazardous and if you go alone, someone needs to know where you are precisely. You must have an understanding with your contact, friend, family, whoever it is for what time you are expected home at the latest before a call is made for rescue. If you are alone, beside a bear attack you can also hurt yourself and be stuck in the wood due to injury. If I go alone, I personally carry a handy saw, a knife, a safety horn, whistle and matches plus food and water.

In my 15 years in the beautiful British Columbia / Vancouver area, there has been quite a few occasions when I heard news reporting attacks from Cougars or Grisly bears against people in the wild. Injured people doing outdoor activities in the wild also happens.

Sadly these situations happens and that is why we have to try to be as ready as possible in case it happens to us.
I agree that it is not recommended to go alone but if you choose to go alone, make as good of a plan as possible in case...
I love going out in the woods and I will do it as long as I can and as safely as possible when alone and I will try to go with a co-rider if possible.
Hope both these guys recover well from the attack.