AUG. 24-NORTH SIDE HELP NEEDED

ktmdirtbiker

North side needs help ON THURSDAY AUGUST 24TH!

Kevin Anderson, Paul Barkell and I need riders to help us finish clearing MANY tree downfalls along 1 trail (2 locations).
This trail is to be used for the Boogie....This trail work MUST be completed on Thursday so the Boogie maps can be finished up.

We are definitely in need of several (more the better) white level riders to go with Paul B.(with his chainsaw) and Kevin A.
Highlight of this work section crew is seeing where Woody went for a swim in a beaver pond!

I'm in need of a few (1-3) intermediate riders to come with me (chain saw would be a great asset--if not, the clearing will be tougher with hand saws)....
If someone has an ATV with a chainsaw for my trail work location (It's ATV accessible).

If there are a few responses for helping (chain saw) in MY intermediate section for Sunday August 20th..I can set this up instead of Thursday.

The recent storms have knocked down lots of trees on the North Side.

Thank You...Tom in Brockville

ktmdirtbiker

White level is experienced, talented--trails are rustic to very tough.
If you've been to the North Side-- White Level trails are Woodys Wonderland & Transect, Garnsey, Hells 1/2 Acre.

High Intermediate trails are Oriole Lake & Newfie Autobahn...with wet conditions--these can become White Level.

If you are not a high level rider then you are basically in the Intermediate level..(like me & most BMA members)...

I've been able, in ideal dry conditions, to do some of the White Level trails of Calabogie North..with much help from the talented white level riders!
Tom in Brockville

tjcool

will north side be avail for riding on sunday?....I want to get out and giv'r another try by myself.. :evil: ...less embarrassing that way...MAY have different bike....

tj not-so-cool!

tjcool

not disallowed right?..but just not recommended...

anyway back to my original question; I guess sunday is open for riding north side?..no construction works going on?

zedro

tjcool":37he9g6g said:
not disallowed right?..but just not recommended...

anyway back to my original question; I guess sunday is open for riding north side?..no construction works going on?

Its public land, you are free to be as reckless as you want. It's one thing puttering around on the access roads and basic stuff, but getting into deeper trails by yourself is crazy, especially if you don't know if you have the skill level to get out of some of the valleys. I know it's tough getting rides because no one knows you and your ability level (including yourself), which is why the Boogie is a good event to test yourself, and then you at least have something on your resume that'll give guys a clue where you fit in.

longzook

i'll come and help not sure if the white level trails are gonna kick my butt but i'm up for the challenge, would i survive Kevin? i won't be hurt if you said no lol and if things don't work out i'll just chalk it up to a learning experience
Ron from Napanee

ktmdirtbiker

Hi Folks,
Well it looks like we're getting a couple of offers to help for Thursday Aug 24th.
There will be 2 groups going out to work on the trails...
Kevin and Paul will lead a White Level Group up into the ASS trail.

I have thankfully gotten an offer from Adam Goddard (with a Chain Saw) and whomever else is willing to come assist us on the end portion of 2 Blinds (Pink Trail)
We can access the downed trees area on a very easy ATV trail....even brand new riders can access the location where my group is going.

With last nights storm--there may even be more trees downed than we are presently aware of.

MEETING AT THE NORTH PIT--THURSDAY AUGUST 24TH ---9 A.M.
Hopefully we can be gone by 9:30 a.m.
Long range weather looks like +21C with a small chance of a passing shower late in the afternoon.

I'm sure that Kevin will concur with my following comment!
Your assistance is greatly appreciated and needed to complete this downed tree clean up project..The Boogie is now only 3 weeks away.
Thank you to all in advance who have indicated they are coming or whomever else can come. (even on short notice)
Tom in Brockville

tjcool

this might be a good opportunity for me to ride with "people"....I'll take the day off (cough, cough) and come out and help too...is there a lunch break?..

ktmdirtbiker

I would like to comment about tjcool's desire to ride Calabogie North alone!

The riding areas except for a few areas that are Private Land (where the BMA has gotten permission) is PUBLIC lands!

Out of respect and in conjunction with the desires of the Algonguins of Ontario for their sacred lands--
The BMA has previously stressed that our members should respect the Eagles Nest area by staying away from there on our motorized bikes.
(though the ATV's still access the location).

I fully concur with the comments of Kevin Anderson, Maurilius and Zedro...I strongly suggest for safety reasons that you do not ride alone especially on the North Side Trails.

The BMA has lost 2 outstanding riders & members (Steve G. and Blake M.) who were riding on the routine BMA trail areas during the last 10 years that I have been with the BMA.
There was also another rider, not associated with the BMA, who was killed 2 summers ago on the trails closer to The Black Donald Dam.

Please tjcool..... Don't ride alone!...there are enough of us that go to Calabogie...
We don't want to lose another member on the trails!

With the Boogie only 3 weeks away..offer to volunteer---there is so much work on the trails to be done--you can fill your desire nearly every day...
The Labour Day Weekend and Sep't 7th and 8th are big days for arrowing and final trail cleanups....

That's just my comment...Tom in Brockville

tjcool

I'm a CAT!...I came off, actually was knocked, off my bike last summer on the 417 doing around 120kph...my gsa was destroyed but tjcool just got up and walked away....angry of course....I really wanted to smash the guys face in but the rcmp frowns on that....anyway, I SHALL NOT RIDE ALONE..I PROMISE...just doesn't seem to be a lot of nibbles on the ride request for sunday for novice type riders..where have the novice riders gone..?..I'm alright once I get started..i was just nervous last week or whenever it was..call it stage fright...not used to riding with others....

Tom,

I won't be at the pit till 9:30 or 9:45. Then some time to get ready. Maybe leave one guy behind to wait for me, and let me know where you want to meet up.

Hey Fellas!
I'm shooting for Thursday as well. Unless work really needs me,... I am in! I'll see about fabricating a chainsaw mount for the bike(s). (Any tips on that would be great!)
C U then!
Chris

ktmdirtbiker

Kevin,
You're leading the group to the ASS trail start...so the White Level riders will obviously wait..
In that I'm leading the group to the end of 2 Blinds to work backwards from there...we have a short ride to there from the Pit so we can also wait until you arrive...
I'm sure that I will do my regular thing..talking to everyone...LOL!

The last rides we never got away at the posted time anyway...
Drive Safe Buddy...no need to rush!
It looks like we will actually have some help this time...YAHOO!!!!!!
Tom in Brockville

ktmdirtbiker

Anyone wanting to help for clearing some trees off a couple of the trails...please come between 9-930 a.m. to the North Pit on Thursday August 24th.

Presently there are 2 groups (Expert and Intermediate) going out UNLESS nobody shows up to help me who is an Intermediate rider!

There is a confirmed chain saw rider for the EXPERT level (ASS Trail)..

The Intermediate rider with the chain saw has had to back out due to work commitments...
BUT----
I can still lead anyone (Intermediate) along easy ATV trails to the area of 2 Blinds Trail, to where we encountered a bunch of downed trees last week.
With many hands, should people come to help me... we can get rid of most of the downed trees with hand saws...the downed trees are located in an approximately 150-200 Yards (Max) length of trail.
Should there be a tree that is too large for hand saws (or a way around it)...
I can arrange for a chain saw either from the Expert Level (if they can finish clearing the downed trees on ASS Trail) or on Friday.
Thanks...Tom in Brockville

ktmdirtbiker

OldschoolKTM...
Yes..there is alot of talk of ASS and 2 Blinds...Come out tomorrow to see...
I guess the experts (Whites) will do Pitbull...then finding the Lost Saint and then go part way up the Newfie Autobahn leading to going down through the ASS Trail (Anderson's South Sherbrook) and finally into 2 Blinds....LOL
A lovely day!..
We meet tomorrow morning at the North Pit between 9 and 9:45 (Kevin A. is arriving by then).
Tom in Brockville