Anyone ever ridden the Midsummer Dream trail ride?

gman

Thinking about joining this ride in mid-July. Anyone ridden it before? Worth going ?

Past blog posts on the ride talk about a lot of "single track" which is a thumbs up.

There's still not a lot of detail about the ride posted yet on OFTR site.

Thanks in advance.

Grant

dschris

I have ridden the Midsummer Dream trail ride twice over the years, and enjoyed it each time. The Ganny, if you have never been there is like Limerick, only much bigger, with some moderate elevation changes. It is on my radar for this summer :)

Cheers,

Chris

gman

Well... Now that the GPTR finally has their Flyer posted, we're registered and looking forward to it.

We're leaving Ottawa Sat morning to get set up @ Sandaraska Park campground.

Let us know if anyone else is going on this ride.

Cheers,
Grant

gman

Well... We did the Midsummer Dream Ride with the GPTR.

Fantastic single-track. First 35-40km's was all single track. Other than being mostly sand (and the requisite dust), it was quite good. Great place to ride if it is wet. If you don't like sand woops, don't ride in the Ganaraska! Most straight-sections of trail on the West side are riddled with them.

Afternoon after lunch in the East forest was the best. More elevation changes (although nothing like Calabogie.... think of a Limerick that is 4-5x larger with a bit more "hills") and better overall dirt/terrain. You can easily do 120km's of riding there in a day between East/West with only a few ATV trail traverses between sections.

GPTR was a great host. Only suggest is that they start planning/advertising it earlier! Only had 60 riders out and they needed ~100 to break even. I thought 60 was pretty good for a ride that only opened for Registration roughly a week before the event.

If you ever want to ride there, stay @ Sandaraska Park campground (www.sandaraskapark.ca). There is a trail-head leading into the West forest right from the campground. They're horse/2-wheel friendly. They have a decent pool, showers/washrooms, stuff for the family and fully-serviced sites or tent camping. All the trails are family/small-wheel friendly.

Keep in mind the Ganny is a multi-use forest. So EXPECT to come across Horses, ATV's, etc. More-so on the West Side. I didn't see anyone (but other riders) on the East side.

Cheers,

G.