A hunting we will go??

scott1

Hi,

When is hunting season in the Limerick and Calabogie Areas?

or when should I stay away from trails in either of these locations?

Thank you,
Scott.

markvan

Rifle season opens the first Monday of November, and is 2 weeks long. (nov 2 - 15).

And I had the great timing of having my wife due on Nov. 3. Doesn't look like I'll be out with the guys this year. Thankfully bow season goes from Oct. 01 to Dec. 31, so I'll still fill the freezer. I much rather bow anyway, much more exciting, and challenging....

scott1

Question,

I'm not a hunter so I need some information; I do see the hunt camps just off some of the trails I ride. Would it be correct to say where hunters are is much futher into the woods then near trails. ( I normally ride the double track stye trails )

Thank you,
Scott

ktmkevin

The BMA strongly encourages everyone to stay out of the bush and stick to municipally recognized roadways during the gun hunt which is Nov. 2-15 inclusive. Yes, you most certainly will annoy the hunters if you ride past a camp. I would also recommend avoiding the trails on the preceding weekend as the hunters will be moving into the camps to evict whole families of chipmunks from the cots.

ktmkevin":2xiaopcu said:
The BMA strongly encourages everyone to stay out of the bush and stick to municipally recognized roadways during the gun hunt which is Nov. 2-15 inclusive. Yes, you most certainly will annoy the hunters if you ride past a camp. I would also recommend avoiding the trails on the preceding weekend as the hunters will be moving into the camps to evict whole families of chipmunks from the cots.

Another benefit? Not getting shot.

scott1

The MNR got back to me about a month after reading my email question about hunting season. I thought I would add it for the record:

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry and we apologize for the delay in responding to your e-mail.

The hunting seasons in the area you described are as follows for the 2009/2010 season;

Bear Season - Sept. 8 to Nov. 30

Archery Deer - Oct. 1 - Dec. 31

Gun Deer - Nov. 2 - Nov. 15 & Nov. 30 - Dec. 6

Small Game Season - Sept. 19 - Mar. 31 of the next year

If you are utilizing the woods during the open hunting seasons it is best to wear a blaze orange vest or coat and a hat so that you are visible from all directions.

To view the 2009 Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary please visit http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW ... 1275P.html

Regards,

nric web reader - cg

Natural Resources Information Centre
PO Box 7000
Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5
1-800-667-1940
TTY: 1-866-686-6072
Fax: 705-755-1677
mnr.nric@mnr.gov.on.ca
http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca

ktmkevin

To all of those confused by all these overlapping hunting seasons; THE BIGGIE is the gun hunt Nov. 2-15. Anyone who didn't grow up (or live) in a rural area may not realize how huge this tradition is in Southern Canada and Northern U.S. states. For example, in my industrial workplace, gun season is the second most requested vacation slot behind Christmas. Participation is large and it's a VERY GOOD idea to stay out of the bush for this period. BTW the Nov. 30- Dec. 6 period is actually the primitive arms season (muzzleloaders) which has really caught on in the last few years but....we can't be expected to vacate our riding areas all fall!
A friendly reminder from a fellow rider (and hunter).