Your fav. place to buy tires?

joshafool

I tried to buy a rear tire online from the states...turns out they can't ship tires to my location.

What's your favourite Canadian website/store to buy tires?

thumpididump

BTW, you must create a user profile and be logged in to see pricing info at Pete's ... but it's worth it because compared to all other CDN retailers, their prices are the best.

105 rider

What about supporting your local dealer?? The only reason they can not give you the prices that you get from the states is because the tires are purchased months ago by the distributer that they get the tires from. What happens when you order the wrong tire? What is it going to cost you to send it back?
I could go on and on about what your local dealer does for you, even if it is behind the scenes, and I believe I ranted on about this before. Shop local!

thumpididump

I've tried several local dealers for tires but they can't compete (although many people think they just refuse to compete -- it's really not their fault). I do shop at 3 local dealers for incidentals and small ticket items. But for tires, everyone knows that going south of the border is much cheaper. I'd love to support the local dealers more, but at the end of the day, if I can save 50%, then I'll do it and I won't feel guilty. I don't have bags of cash lying around.

105 rider

Hey Thump, who installs, and balances your tires? I hope you do, other wise you would have to pay for it, walking into your local dealership with tires bought somewhere else! Buying small ticket items does not keep dealership doors open.

thumpididump

It's not my job to keep dealers' doors open, rather it's up to the dealers to hang onto their customers if they want to stay in business. If they want my loyalty, then they'll have to earn it. Several years ago I worked for a motorcycle parts distributor (I won't say which one) and because of this I know first hand that they don't make it easy for dealers in Canada. Before that, I also worked at a medium-ish sized dealership for a short time. Dealers have it tough, I'm aware of that.

Indeed, I change my own tires (most of the time) and I do all my own repairs, upgrades, and maintenance except on rare occasions.

With all the preaching, I feel like I need to come clean and confess my sins but I will also say that I have supported plenty of local dealers. I do it for the convenience of buying local, not because I feel the need to support them. I've shopped at just about every one of them in the Ottawa area, and a couple in Toronto. I spend a pile of cash on motorcycle stuff every year, way more than I can really afford in fact. In the past year alone I've spent:

Wheelsport - $350
GoodTime Centre - $300
Powersports Honda - $500
Ottawa Yamaha - $100
Motor Sports World - $50
RMB Motorsport (Aylmer) - $150
Pro6Cycle (Toronto) - $150
Parker Brothers (Toronto) - $250

Route 68 Sales & Service (Ogdensburg, NY) - $800
Motorcycle Superstore - $500
eBay - not sure, but well over $1,000

I've also bought and sold many items from forum members on several popular web forums, mostly from the US.

I will finish by saying that of all the places I've spent my cash, the best place for service (and reasonable pricing) was Route 68 Sales and Service just outside of Ogdensburg in NY. The owner is Ken Hill, and he's the best by far, hands down. A real genuine nice guy who cares about his customers. Second place for service in my experience is Powersports Honda.

</thread jack>

joshafool

I think I'll check this Route 68 place out, sounds nice.

You all ever read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance? It was because of the book I tought myself how to work om motorcycles. Like I said its not just the ride, its everything. From riding, washing, repairing. The only thing I hate is paying for insurance.

EmmBeeDee

joshafool":tm8e2rrp said:
I think I'll check this Route 68 place out, sounds nice.

You all ever read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance? It was because of the book I tought myself how to work om motorcycles. Like I said its not just the ride, its everything. From riding, washing, repairing. The only thing I hate is paying for insurance.

Are you kidding? You read all of "Zen and the Art..."

I can't remember how many times I started that book, but never got past chapter 3...

Remind me to buy you a beer if we meet. You deserve it. ;)

thumpididump

Ha ! I never made it all the way through Zen, either. It quickly got boring because I was expecting it to be all about motorcycles. :D

Terry

Staff member
I actually made it through on my second try after 15-20 years in between attempts. It wasn't really worth the effort.