TekVest & hydration pack recommendations

Steve450

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some input on TekVests.
What model is everyone using ? How is the sizing ?
I'm also looking at hydration packs, any advice or recommendations?
Any other gear you would consider a must have ?
What about bike accessories ? Anything stand out as a must have for trail riding ?

I've been an OFTR member for 3 years now and haven't made it out for a single ride yet due to work. Now being self employed I'd like to start making up for that this year.

Skyllz

I cant really answer in regards to the tekvest since I wear a Fox Racing Titan pressure suit, I cant ride without mine anymore or I feel naked. Pressure suits are a case of you like it or you dont. The tekvest does not provide forearm/elbow protection so it's something else to consider adding if you go that route.

Hydration packs, tons of models out there, IMHO Camelback are still good but not as much as they used to VS the often cheaper competition.
Other than motorcycle shop that carries some models sometimes, places like SAIL and MEC have many models in stock with various size bladders. 1.5 to 2L is a good idea for riding around Calabogie, it goes surprisingly fast on a very hot day. Worst case it's easier to put only 1L int here than to try to jam 2L in a 1L bag ;)

I run an old MEC bag with a newer 2L bladder with a dustcap on the spout, that bag has a secondary pocket where I put some extra tools along my wallet and car keys in a ziploc bag.

Hope that helps.

Oxmach

I'm a fan of the TekVest, wearing them for snowmobiling and trail riding. For trail riding the Rally Max is the way to go as you can put a hydration bladder in the back and it has a few pockets for your insurance, trail snacks small tools etc. They can be warm but you can adjust the side straps to loosen it up a bit form more airflow. I crash tested my snowmobile one with a100mph get off, and pretty sure it saved me from having any internal damage (chest, back etc.) which is why I wear it for trail riding now.

Regards,

Steve450

Thanks for the input guys.
One of my biggest concerns is ventillation, I get too hot with just a roost deflector some days.
I guess I'll do a little more looking around before I make my decision. I like the idea of the integrated forearm protection of the titan but the tekvest just looks like it would offer more protection. Hopefully I'll never really have to test it but it's good to know the tekvest has been crash tested at 100mph.
I'm definitely looking for the biggest practical hydration pack I can get.

Thanks again

I carry a camel back inside a mec back pack (not form fitted but suits my needs depending on what type of riding I am doing). I treat my gear separate as a need to ride with security and safety in mind. I think I carry 2 litres plus for water and force it down to stay hydrated. The back pack carries everything I need in the event of trouble. It's just what I am accustomed to... :roll: