Scenic Fall Adventure Ride coming very soon

Heather

Good day everyone,

I am organizing a "Fall Colours Scenic Adventure/ Charity Ride open to BMA members and non members. Proposed dates are Sunday, Oct. 4 or Saturday, Oct. 10. This non-aggressive route of approximately 160 km consists of paved, gravel and dirt roads featuring portions of the Calagogie Boogie Dual Sport Ride. This tour will begin and end at Lavant. (There is plenty of parking there if you trailer in.) About half way through the ride, there will be a beautiful spot at which to stop, have your own picnic lunch and take pictures of the picturesque waterfalls. There will be other points of interest along the way.

Please arrive around 10:30 a.m. The ride will begin at 11:00. GPS routes will be emailed to anyone wishing them.

I am asking for donations of $20 or more per person to be given to the Arnprior and District Humane Society. (I am on the Board of Directors.) If anyone would like a tax receipt, I can have that arranged.

Please email me as soon as possible to let me know if you are interested in participating and which date you would prefer. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at tiff1_10@hotmail.com.

Heather

Terry

Staff member
Cool, I'm in.

Heather has asked me to prepare the GPS routes for her ride. This looks like it would be a great ride for BMA's trail riders that want a taste of Dual Sporting. Gas range should not be a problem even for trail bikes but they must be blue plated. The ride would be good on large Adventure Touring type bikes or even a street bike if you don't mind unpaved roads.

KevinV

My wife and I might be in. Depends on weather and if we can get our hands on a trailer.

Sounds like a fun ride!!

Would we NEED to have our own GPS or is the plan to travel as a group? Will there be a slo-mo group I can tag along with?? :lol:

Terry

Staff member
Hi Kevin,
You don't NEED to have a GPS but you will be on your own to find someone to ride with that will be going at a suitable pace for you. I expect several others will be without GPS so don't let that discourage you from attending. I may even print you out a map if you ask nicely. If turnout is low we may wind up riding as a group anyway but the big advantage of a GPS ride is everyone ride one can travel at a speed that they are comfortable with.

I have not seen too many responses to the question of what date, Sunday, Oct. 4 or Saturday, Oct. 10, Do you have a preference? I think If Heather doesn't get strong feedback on this issue she will make it for the 4th with the 10th as a rain day.
Cheers,

KevinV

Thanks for the info!

I can't make the 10th due to other obligations, so the 4th is better for me. I am, however, at the mercy of the majority. 8)

Still trying to arrange transport though, so I'm not 100% there... yet.

BTW, where is Lavant? I'm not familiar with the area at all!!

Thanks!!

Terry

Staff member
N45.06583 W76.65201 OK that my not help you either. :)

It's about 2 hours west of Orleans. Take the 417 to March Rd exit. Go South-West on March Rd (county Rd 49) through Almonte. Stay on the same road as the name changes to Wolf Grove Rd (county Rd 16) and goes through Middlevile and on to Hopetown where the road ends at County road 511. Turn right (North-West) on 511 for 2 km, turn left (South-West) on another section of County Rd 16 for 17.5 km.
Cheers,

Stephanie

I'll put my hand up for the Oct 10 date as next weekend Mike and I are going to ride the Nipissing road.

Stephanie

Heather

Hi Kev and other dual sport fanatics,
Kev, Glad to hear you are packed and ready to go!
Yes, so far the ride is on for tomorrow and for Oct. 10 (We decided we would try to accommodate all interested riders by offering this ride on the two dates.)
Wish we had gone today since today turned out to be so beautiful.
Kev and anyone else who is planning on riding with us tomorrow, (Sun., Oct. 4) please call by 9:00 a.m. to confirm participating in this ride. (613-297-1707)
If the weather is too miserable, I will post a cancellation notice here by 8:15 a.m. tomorrow.

Stephanie

scott1":i59oex8d said:
Hi What/Where is Nipissing road located?

It runs roughly north west between Seguin Falls and Commanda, check the google map link below. You'd get a better idea from a Mapart map(one of the backroad series, I think this road is on the one that includes Parry Sound, Huntsville, etc, the east of Georgian Bay area) they show all the colonization roads in Ontario. My goal is to ride all of them. There's a whole thread devoted to the Nipissing road over on ADVRider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331150).

A lot of them are quite reachable in the Ottawa are for a day ride - Opeongo, Frontenac, Addington, the eastern part of the Peterson, Lavant, and the Hastings might be possible in a long day of riding. Not all sections are still called by their original names but I have a map at home of the original group of roads and its farily easy to figure out what they have evolved into. Most sections are paved now, but there's a chunk of the Frontenac that goes south from Camel Chute that's still partly a dirt road. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...-77.12883&sspn=0.177679,0.307961&ie=UTF8&z=12

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....455555,-79.613113&spn=0.176527,0.307961&z=12

KevinV

Heather,

Thanks very much for leading & organizing the ride yesterday. Sure, we got a bit wet, but as our first DS ride my wife and I had a blast. I'm still on the natural high!! :D

It was great to meet everyone that showed up!

I'll get the pics to you separately.

Cheers!!