Maintenance frequency confusion

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
I purchased a CRF250X 2016 a month ago. Previous owner bought it Sept. 30th and rode it for 10 hours.

Gave it the "take it out of storage" maintenance last weekend.
New engine oil, filter, transmission oil, new coolant and will get to re oil the air filter and the chain later this week.

My maintenance book says every 1000 km's for engine oil and transmission but I keep reading 10 - 15 hours from folks online, and MX track guys do it after every race.

If it is in fact every 15 hours?
Engine oil & filter only? Or also change filter cap O ring and new plug washer?
What about trans. oil? Same frequency?

Thanks, Steph

Scott

Mx bikes are at full power for must of the race. Trail riders lug around at much lower rpm, so go,with the 250x recommendations.

Air filter will depend on conditions. Dusty conditions cause filter to dirty quicker. Clean and change the filter when it looks dirty. Most dirt ingestion happens during the filter change or if filter not installed properly.

Change the oil when it looks dirty. Ten to 15 hours sound like a lot though.

Change washer on plug? Never done this, but I ride a 2 stroke so go through several plugs a year.

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
Just to be clear, when you say "10 to 15 hours sounds like a lot", as in too much, overkill, right?
I wasn't clear on "plug". From what I've read, people seem to change the drain bolt washer every oil change or two, it that necessary?

Thanks for the insight!

Steve450

Over time the sealing washers on the drain plugs can distort and leak, especially if the plug is overtightened. The o-ring on the filter cover is the same idea. Each time the cover is removed there's a chance that it could create a small tear or distortion on the o-ring and cause a leak. Replacing them every oil change is just a precaution. That being said my bike is an '06 and I've never changed either, I do keep spares on hand and check them every oil change though.

I change my oil when the oil starts to look dark in the sight glass, usually around the 10 hour mark. The manual for my bike says every 2.5 hours if I remember right, but it is an R model and like Scott said that's running wide open in a race. I'm not about to start doing oil changes on the side of the trail. Pretty sure the book says to replace the piston rings every 10 hours too.

I keep 2 spare air filters oiled and ready to go for my bike and throw a fresh one in before each ride. I wipe down the air box at each change to keep dirt build up to a minimum. Might be overkill, but nothing will kill an engine faster than dirt.

barbotte

i am no expert but 4 stroke a a little diferent then 2 stroke ,,,, if i had to do oil change on my crf250x every 10 -15 hour i would be doing them every week end lol .... i do mine twice a 2 - 4 time a year, but i do not ride track ,,just wood is less hard on the engine as for plug washer i dont remember ever replace it ,,,and that why i got a 4 stroke ,,less maintenance then 2 stroke
cheer

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
Great, thanks for the insight everyone!
You've put all my fears of crazy maintenance cycles to rest.

zedro

For copper washers, heat them until they glow on a screwdriver. That will anneal them and get better sealing and life. Same for head bolt washers and hydro stuff if you need it in a pinch.