Looking into getting into dirtbiking...

Skyllz

Havent swing a leg over an enduro in 15 years... I'm looking into getting back to the sport but I have one major question...

15 years ago I did'nt have a 9 year old daugther that liked the CRF50 she had 2 years ago to put around the cottage(too small for her now, sold it last summer).

Any kids friendly area around Ottawa? Of course I'd got to many rides(once I get the bike i'll join the club for sure) without her but I really want to spend a few saturdays with her putting around without going all the way up to the cottage.

It's almost a condition to get into dirtbiking for me, otherwise I might get some ATV's for all season riding at the cottage instead.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Your best bet is probably Limerick. If you have quick access to Hiway 416 then it really isn't very far away and the situation in Larose isn't going too well right now. In Limerick you can start out fireroading then move on to easier single track as skill level dictates. I personally consider Limerick a great area for less experienced riders.

RnR

Hi Skyllz,

You and I are sort of in the same boat. I'm looking to get back into trail riding, still in the bike researching phase. It may interest you to look into Trail Tours. They provide guided rides including motorcycle, gear, and lunch for $225 per person per day or $275 with insurance. There is a pretty decent choice of bikes too. I'm in the midst of booking a date with them, Oct.23 at Limerick Forest. Usually they operate at Ganaraska (somewhere between Peterborough and Oshawa).

Rob

Skyllz

Trail Tours looks Awesome but 4 hours is kinda far away for a fun day with a 9 year old...

Really debating about it, even more with Winter coming up. I know would have a blast at the cottage with a Raptor and a set of studded tires on the lake :p The daugther too with a 90cc kids quad and some studded tires.

Not an easy one :(

RnR

They don't have it on their website but they're doing a day at Limerick Forest (near Kempville) this month on Monday the 23rd. I'm guessing it's about an hour drive from Aylmer. There's likely still space if you can get the day off work.

If so, I'll see you there. :)

Rob

PM me if you want to know more.

A

Anonymous

copy from my post on the ODS forum...

Should I get a full road legal bike or I will be ok for plenty of riding around the bogie area for example with an off-road only?

I live in Aylmer Qc and will be making most of my riding hopefully with some clubs around Ottawa(Bogie) and at my cottage near Gracefield but one question remains.

Mind you anything above 400cc on-road will be costing over 500$ per year just for plates alone in Qc due to changes this year, in effect by spring 2008. 40$ is the price per year for off-road. Add insurance to that also, much more expensive for on-road usage.

It also makes the bike selection quite smaller if I get a Dual sport, other then 2007 EXC KTM or Suzuki DRZ there aint much that would fit the bill for me.

I was dead set on an enduro, probably a 03+ 450 or 525EXCunless I find a sweet deal on a WR450 or 450X(I'm a big guy... 250lbs and 6'4") . But neither of these can be plated on-road in Quebec anymore, I got friends who had them plated before that received notice from the SAAQ here that they are now off-road only.

Thanks guys for your advise, cant wait to hit the trails after 15 years of absence... I know it'll hurt in the morning but I'll still have that ear to ear grin i'm sure.