Kickstarter Rattle Issue

Vfrog

07 Honda CRF250X

Kick starting the bike to life last week and the kick starter suddenly felt wrong. Started the bike with the electric start. Kick starter was rattling obnoxiously.

Drained fluids and opened it up. The return spring was out of its tensioning hole. Needed a new gasket so I ordered a return spring and ratchet spring for the hell of it.

I aligned the parts correctly. punch marks aligned etc.

It is better but still rattles. I now have noticed some movement in the spindle shaft. That is probably why the tension spring could release in the first place.

With the bike running I can move the kick starter just a bit outwards and the rattle intensifies to feeling the grind of the gear.

Presuming I now need to pull it apart more and check the spindle tolerances, thrust washers and pinion gear tolerances.

Am I on the right path here. Anything else to look at.

Paul B

Vfrog

Pulled it for a second time and found that the starter Ratchet has pushed out a piece of the casing. Not good!!
Possibly due to the increase in compression from the big bore kit. It requires more force to turn it over.
Looks like a trip to Woody's is the next step.
No budget for a new bike so I am without wheels till I get that fixed.

zedro

Hope you figure it out soon to see you back on the trails Paul. Do you know if your decompression thingy is working?

Mat

Vfrog

I didn't know I had one. Now I do.

I did install a stage 2 Hot Cams. That might affect the de-compression thingy.

I will see if I can get it over to Woody to take a look.