Here is a dual-sport post, 80/20 dirt recommendation

troy

I currently ride an XT225 with stock dual-sport tires and I would like to get tires that are better in the dirt, at least so I can keep up with my kids (they just got a pair of TTRs). We are all BMA members for 2008.

I have researched all the dual-sport forums (odsc, etc.) that I could find and seem to have settled on a pair of Pirelli MT21s.

I would like to hear from any local dual-sport riders that have some experience with these tires. Where to buy recommendation would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy

tj

I've got MT21s on my KLR650.

The front is much better than the Trackmaster II I had previously (but they're known for being terrible for the front).

Try Dream Cycles at <https://www.dreamcycles.net/onlinestore/>.

They're in Ottawa, and seem willing to order anything.

Also, you could try some of the Ontario vendors listed the ODSC forums:
http://www.rossrochersales.com/
http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/
http://www.platinum-powersports.com/

But I think shipping will make the those more expensive.

troy

Thanks TJ.

I will try dream cycles.

How do you find them on pavement? Although, your 650 is heavier than my xt and results may differ.

Troy

105 rider

Seeing how you are using the BMA forum, to get advice and to find tire, maybe you should try supporting the motorcycle shops that help support the BMA. There are 3 of them. They are Woodys Cycles KTM, Irwin Supplies, and Wheelsport. They can get you just about anything that you would need.

tj

troy":3byw5wi5 said:
How do you find them on pavement? Although, your 650 is heavier than my xt and results may differ.

So far, they're fine, but I'm not an aggressive rider (on or off-road) and I'm a relatively new rider.

And they don't have the odd slip feeling leaning them over that the Trackmaster IIs had. With them, I got the impression I could feel them roll from the main knobs to the side knobs. They never slide or broke loose on pavement, but it was a slightly unnerving sensation at first. The MT21s don't seem to do that.

Tim

RnR

105 rider":24hpaum4 said:
Seeing how you are using the BMA forum, to get advice and to find tire, maybe you should try supporting the motorcycle shops that help support the BMA. There are 3 of them. They are Woodys Cycles KTM, Irwin Supplies, and Wheelsport. They can get you just about anything that you would need.

Maybe businesses supporting the BMA should be more recognizable? Perhaps links to their shops right on the home page. I know you can drill down the "Links" menu. But they're buried.

Rob

davemack

105 rider":1xwighkg said:

Don't Forget Ottawa Goodtime center, we have hundreds of tires in stock and we support the BMA. It's only Woody and myself that donate our time to the club, the other dealers are posers.

:lol:
dave mackenzie

105 rider

Sorry Dave (and Jason) :oops: I thought of you guys after. You have to forgive me, it was first thing this morning, and I was a little in shock to see that a club member, and customer, did not think of us.
In Irwin Supplies defense, he does help with the Limerick forest kids ride.

troy

Over the years I bought bikes, accessories and other gear at each of Wheelsport and the OGTC. Plus some other local dealers.

I did not see a reference to Pirelli tires at any of the websites for Wheelsport, OGTC or Woody's.

I am happy to see that all the dealers that support the BMA are able to get them.

tj

105 rider":2q9l407u said:
<snip> You have to forgive me, it was first thing this morning, and I was a little in shock to see that a club member, and customer, did not think of us.
<snip>

Yes, my bad. I should have recommended sponsors, and mentioned them first. I apologize to them, particularly Woody, since I have been a customer of his since just after I came into contact with the BMA.

My oversight can be partly blamed by the earliness of the morning of my response and also the direct focus of the original question, specifically related to the Pirelli MT-21s. When I had previously tried to get them, I didn't have much luck. And the pair I now own came from a private sale through a friend of a friend.

So, in the future, I will reference the 'sponsors' link or make no recommendations at all.

Tim