Getting started...

TomBo

Hi. I had a bike 5 years ago for afew months befor I sold it to go to college. Now I finaly have the resources to get back into riding. Being totaly out of the loop, I have some questions, that I would be very greatfull if you could help me with.

Iam 22, 5'7" 150lbs.

Iam not sure what I should get, I have a backround of raceing Downhill Mountain Bikes, riding quads growing up. I know that I most likely will be taking part in hare scrambles with in my first year. My old dirt bike was a 1995 DT200, totaly gutless, under suspended, but was great start. I even got out to Woodies once for a trail day. I like to push my limits most of the time (read crash offten).

I think I should get something like a newer KDX, KTM 200 2-stroker or a 250f. Please give your suggestions.
Where should I look for used bikes?

Plateing, I took alook at the other posts here. How ever Iam still not sure what I will need and the ball park cost. All I want to do is ride trails like Woodie's, so I should be fine with a green plate (thats off road only right?). Sounds like State Farm is a good place to start looking, any other suggestions?

Helmet, Boots and Knee braces...

I've done some pokeing around on the net and have come up with some idea what I want but Iam just guess really at this point. The Asterisk Cell or EVS web brace seem to be the best non custom options. I really want good protection for my kness. Downhill mtb has already soften them up :( abit.
Is there anywhere local that sell this stuff?

Boots, Same for boots my ankles have been tweaked afew times so the best protection for the money is what Iam after.

Helmet, I have a cheap Zeus DOT Lid from my first bike. Should do the trick for now. Or should I get a "SNELL" approved, are they much better?

I have some Dianese armour, should work ok for moto I'd guess.
protGearDaineseThumb.jpg

Neck pad, brace thing. Are they overly intrusive? They seem like a good idea.

Any other gear I should look for?

Thanks for you help. I can't wait to get brapping this spring.

Richard L.

Welcome back

Check out the www.odsc.on.ca forum for more info plus plus......including used bikes.
Most of your questions have been commented on there at one time or another.

KDX or KTM200 would be a good choice if you find the DT gutless and under suspended

If your only into trails and HS closed course events...go green plate
But if your doing trail rides like Calabogie Boogie....much better with a blue plate and since you have a "M" (I take) seriously look at the blue plate (you do need a blue plate to ride road allowance's which tend to link trails)

Helmet...buy the best.... Aria Whats your brain worth???
Boots....Alphinestar Tech 6, 8 or 10
Armour....what ever is comfortable...keep cooling in mind
Knee braces...custom make a pair is the best for weak knees ( some health insurance plans will pay for them)

My 2 cents

And I'm sure Woodies Shop can help you out.

ktmkevin

Wow! So many questions! To make the proper bike choice you have to decide what (exactly) you want to do with it and how aggressive a rider you envision yourself becoming. Are you just going to do low key trail rides (doesn't sound like it) or do you plan to do lots of hardcore racing? The best weapon depends on the answers to these types of questions. Any of the bikes you mentioned work slightly better than the others in very specific circumstances but any of them would probably work O.K. for you. Remember that no matter what you choose, there will be small compromises somewhere. And the most important question: do you have a preference for two strokes or four strokes (more compromises)?
An offroad (green) plate and insurance are recommended if you're planning to trail ride; cuts down on hassles. And remember to KEEP YOUR BIKE QUIET. Try Kingsway, Jevco or Primmum for insurance.
If your helmet is more than 7-8 years old or has taken a big hit then it's probably time to replace. Find a lid that fits your head and is comfortable and don't worry about the Snell sticker. Boots seem to be a case of "you get what you pay for". Mid-line boots run in the $350-$400 range and usually outlast cheaper boots so it's money well spent. Don't know anything about knee braces. Some people seem to be running under-armour like your Dainese but I haven't heard much about it. Might be warm in the summer. Most just use offroad knee and elbow guards. Haven't seen anyone wearing neck protection in the summer althought I wear one on the ice. I suspect that those small neck protectors that attach to the chest protector (like the 661) might catch on over time.
If you have more questions just fire away. We are here to help. And I'm sure we will see more input regarding your queries (probably rebutting everything I wrote).

RnR

Hi Tom,

Irwin Supply in Cornwall have (had?) two left over 2004 WRs, one 450 and one 250. I bet they would sell blue plated. New bike for the price of used. May be worth a look.

As for boots, I was at Motorsports World yesterday and they had Oxtar MX boots regular ~$450 on for ~$150. None fit me or I would have bought a pair.

Rob

TomBo

So I gave up shopping around for a cheap bike and just jumped in head first. I picked up a 2003 KTM 250EXC (4 stroker) brand new, old stock :D .

Crazy2

Sounds like you got a great deal on a new 2003 KTM. Where did you purchase the bike and did that have any more new but old stock left?

TomBo

Power Sport, No they quit dealing KTM awhile ago and just couldn't unload this bike. It still was alot more then what I was planning on getting, but this way I get to build my credit :lol:
http://www.woodys-cycles.com/ has a mint looking KTM200EXC used bike.