Club ride today, wheeeee!

Stephanie

I had a great time today! Thanks to the folks who set up the route and the gps files etc. Very appreciated!

Mike and I compared our tracks to Ronzo's and we were both on track! Mike and the Beemer Gang passed me while I was turning around after overshooting a turn. I got confused when Scott caught up to me and I thought he said that Mike and the boys had left shortly after he did. So I continued to wait until Heather and Mr Sweep came along. But what Scott really said was that the Big Guns had left shortly after I did. Its hard to hear when you've got earplugs in and a helmet on.

So it turns out that in the few moments it took me to find a level surface and get pointed the right way they'd gone by.

Anyway, all's well. I should make sure I'm with a group with similiar bikes next time. I was sick of holding up the Big Guns and eating their dust so I thought by going ahead they'd catch up shortly.

See you all next time! :D

Stephanie

EmmBeeDee

Yes, thanks to all who went to so much trouble to make this a fun day! Ronzo, Terry, Heather, to name the most visible of you, we'd like to say thanks!

The weather was great; the riding was safe and fun - what more could you ask for?

Mike Downey

Ronzo

Folks

I'd like to get your opinions on the following idea to make navigation a little easier......

I personally find that routes have their limitations as they are traditionally done for Dual Sport rides. For many years I was involved in rallying, and in a rally route chart, the navigator has a tulip diagram, which visually represents the turn, as well as a description of the turn TR (turn right), VR (veer right) etc. If we came up with a std set of abbreviations to add to the waypoint numbers, I think life would be easier - you would always know the direction of the next turn e.g

The first letter would be the direction, either L, R, S (left, right, straight)
The second letter (if need) would describe the type of intersection - T, X, V (T junction, X roads, Veer)

For example, waypoints would now look like this

24 L = Left (Turn) at waypoint 24
25 R = Right (Turn) at waypoint 25
26 LX = Left @ X roads
27 LT = Left @ T junction
28 LV = Left @ V (veer left/keep left)
29 S = Straight on at waypoint 29

This is probably all you need, and they would show up great on any GPS - My 60csx has a large block in route mode that reads distance to waypoint, so it would now show 340m to 25 R, so I know I'm turning right - too easy?

We could also add cautions in the code, to warn of danger spots, maybe an exclamation mark ! or perhaps EZ (easy)

30 EZ = Caution at 30

What are your thoughts, should we give it a try next ride :?:

Stephanie

Ronzo, that sounds like a good idea. I would be willing to help annotate the route as it would certainly be more work to set up.

I have here the Canada Enhanced Basemap and Topo 4 which both are good for showing the more obscure backroads.

I will add however that I didn't find the route too hard to follow as long as I kept zooming in and out as needed to get my bearings.

msnider

that sounds like an excellent idea.after all there are people like myself who are getting older and get confused quite easily ,not like when i was young and knew it all.

Ronzo

Well, I think it's worth trying - Example route attached. The WP are tagged, and the VIA points (flags) are navigated but should not show on screen (in theory) :wink: I'll do a test in the suburbs, but this gives you the idea....

We could use chevron symbols < > ^ instead of L R S - whatever is easier to see works for my old eyes!

:evil: Geez ......"The extension gdb is not allowed"

I'll email it to whoever is interested