BMA Dual Sport Meeting

Terry

Staff member
For 2009 the BMA Dual Sport riders are doing things a little differently. Exactly what we do differently is up to you. Come out to our first meeting, get to know some of the other area Dual Sport riders and help define what happens this year. We are meeting upstairs at the Cheshire Cat next Thursday March 26th at 7:00 pm. Come early if you want to have something to eat. Bring your friends, all are welcome to attend this meeting.
Cheers,

Terry

Staff member
Great turnout on Thursday March 26th 2009: The Phantom, tj, PeterZ, Troy, shipwreck12001, davemack, Terry, ppe172 and one new potential member.

We have not formed a Dual Sport committee as such, for now I want to see if we can get things done with whoever shows up at the meetings, so far so good. collectively we are now called the "BMA Dual Sport Group"

1. We now have a contact list for casual rides and have distributed it to those on the list. This list is now in the hands of The Phantom and he will keep the list up to date and distribute it again mid season. The list provides: Real names, Model of bike, Forum user name, Phone number, Email address and Location.

2. The idea of providing a Dual Sport option at the BMA spring ride was discussed and unanimously supported. Since most of us don't use trailers it was suggested we should start our group ride closer to home, davemack suggested meeting at Timmie's in Almonte. We very much want to be a part of the BMA's Spring Ride so even if we start somewhere else we would wind up joining the trail riders for the BBQ lunch, assuming there is one. davemack and The phantom both expressed interest in developing/leading a suitable route and I will coordinate times and places with the trail riders.

3. BMA web site; well other than this forum there is no mention of Dual Sport riding on the BMA web site. We would like to provide just enough Dual Sport information on the site so that when potential members visit the site they don't think that BMA has no Dual Sport riders and turn away. A paragraph indicating the BMA's involvement in Dual Sport will be composed and a "Dual Sport" menu option added to the home page. ppe172 indicated that he could look into the html work, I will try to compose something and get it approved by the Dual Sport Group and the BMA executive. At this time we probably will not be putting up links or event calendar information but if someone is up to creating and maintaining this it could be added later.

4. The OFTR insurance was discussed briefly but we don't know what the BMA's coverage is exactly nor do we know what we need. tj has offered to investigate further.

5. We want to attract new members to the BMA that are interested in Dual Sport but we don't know how to deal with non-members wanting to participate. This will require further discussion with the BMA executive and could include insurance issues, the BMA constitution and membership rules. I have started discussion with the membership director and asked our president about seeing a copy of the BMA constitution.

6. The Calabogie Boogie will have a Dual Sport option again this year. I described to the quorum the proposed Rally Connex / BMA collaboration that I have been promoting. Hopefully an announcement on this can be made soon. Regardless, The BMA Dual Sport Group can get out and explore route options for this event.