TW200 or KLX250s

jimmc

Hi All. I’m new to the forum, and will soon be a new BMA member. After day-dreaming about it for too long, I’m planning to become a DS rider. I’m looking for input on bike choices.

To introduce myself: I’m an older rider, have some experience on dirt and road bikes. My focus will be on riding bush roads and trails, and just a bit of road riding to get to the trails or to connect trails. I live south of Ottawa near Burritts Rapids. I don’t need to go fast to have fun. I like the idea of just jumping on the bike and riding, versus trailering. I’d like to be able to participate in organized rides, possibly the Rally Connex events.

I’ve mentally short listed Yamaha TW200 and Kawasaki KLX250s. From my research I think I’m familiar with the pros and cons of those bikes in terms of performance and character. The TW sounds like it is just plain fun to ride and go exploring on, if you aren’t in a hurry. The KLX is more capable on the road, has better suspension, and is more like a “real” trail bike (but of course is heavier and clumsier than a dedicated trail bike). KLX is taller, but I’m 6 feet tall, and not worried about that.

From what I read neither would be a mistake, but would one be better than the other for participating in local riding?

- would one one limit the trails I could ride more than the other? For example how many of the trails in Calabogie would be doable/fun for either?
- would it be easier to find other people to ride with with one versus the other? I think the TW encourages a slow style of riding. It will go almost anywhere, but will take awhile to get there, and not everyone wants to ride that way.

Looking forward to your input and opinions, thanks.

Dwight

Ha, you really open a can of worms with this...there are a ton of opinions. I ride extensively in Calabogie area, on all but single track. I have set up the "aggressive" dual sport ride for the boogie for a couple of years now. If you really want to focus on the off road stuff, then a smaller/lighter bike is probably better. I don't have experience to help you there. I ride a KLR650, as do many of the aggressive ds riders. Some are on KTM500's (lots of cash...) and there are a smattering of other machines. I would be remiss in not pointing out the suzuki DRZ 400 as a good compromise: bit smaller and lighter than the thumpers we ride, yet very capable and good on the road. I even have some friends that ride them, ha ha. I think you might find the 200 and 250 just too small for true dual sport riding: you would find yourself very frustrated with the 1 to 1.5 hour commute on the slab to the Calabogie area on these machines. In my experience, bikes this small don't like to sustain 90kph on the slab and good gravel, which is a pretty normal speed for most of the ds riders. You would find them easier to ride in the tough stuff, however, so this is up to you.

Bottom line: your word picture seems to describe an interest in becoming an "Aggressive Dual Sport" rider, to use the current Bytown Motorcycle Association vernacular, and I am the guy to talk to about trails etc.

jimmc

Thanks for your reply to my post. I have long admired KLR650's and DRZ400's sound like great bikes, but I think a smaller, lighter bike that is more biased to off road might suit me better. The best bike is the one you have. I need to buy something and go riding. I would like to contact you for info on trails, and possibly other advice on DS riding.

A bit of back story: a few years ago I was in San Francisco and stayed in an AirBnB, a home rented out by the owners while they were away travelling for the summer. The house had a basement garage, where we were able to park our rental car. In the garage was a big KTM V-twin, I'm guessing a 990 something or other. It had a paper roll strip chart of route instructions for an event called the Sheet Iron 300 attached to the bars. I googled that and was envious/impressed/inspired. That's what rekindled the fire - reminded me that that sort of riding is something I've always wanted to do, but never got around to for all the usual reasons.

Hi Jimmc!
I agree with Dwight and think that you may be better suited to get a larger cc bike for on road commuting. You will be ringing the small bikes out at highway speed. The Rally Connex events are big days and are big adventures. Also, you will have break downs and need to be able to fix your bike on the fly if you wish to finish.
You may consider getting into the DS scene with a bike that you keep a season before finding your next ride.
Buying a bike is like choosing ice cream... 31 flavors! Cone, waffle cone,... cup? It is up to you!
Keep an eye on the forum for used bikes.
Good luck!
Chris
ps my recommendation for you is to purchase anything orange! lol! Although, blue is coming into vogue again!

jimmc

I went for blue! I have the wheels in motion to purchase a Yamaha WR250R. It seemed to strike the right balance between being good enough on the slab for my intended use, and plenty good enough for my skills on the trail.

Once I bring the bike home my next step is to outfit myself with protective gear. I need everything.

tenny80

Congrats on the new bike.. it's going to be a long winter! Where abouts do you live? I'm in Kingston and a newer dual sport rider as well.