Trials Tire

Scott

I was thinking of using a trials tire for Calabogie. Are they much better in the rocks? What about mud?

bohomoto

But to answer your original question, I would describe the difference between a knobby and a trials tire like this:

A knobby will usually start to spin before a trials but once that happens it can still find traction. A trials tire stays hooked up for longer but, once it begins to spin, offers much less traction.

So on large surfaces of flat Canadian Shield, a trials tire is the ticket. In mud or sand, they are not as good. For everything in between, it depends on the rider. I found that on the short burst climbs that you find in The Wonderland, for example, the trials tire seems better on the climb itself. If it's wet and muddy, it can be hard finding traction on the approach with a trials, where it helps to build speed.

I thought that I would prefer a trials because I like riding the more technical trails and because I used to be a trials rider. But I'm enjoying the versatility of a proper Enduro rig so much that a knobby seems better. For every instance that I'm thankful that I'm running a trials there are 2 or 3 moments where I wish I was running a knobby.

A good rule of thumb is this: If you find yourself duck walking most of the difficult sections, or often having to "throttle out because you are in doubt", don't even bother trying a trials tire. If for most difficult sections you keep your feet on the pegs and your butt off the seat, you may prefer the trials.

But, the best way to find out is to try one for yourself ;-)

rackatttack

perhaps one of these new hybrid tyres would be up your ally? maxxis trialmax or the kenda equilibrium both have a slightly stiffer side wall and more side knobs along with a wider spacing