Travel forum?

MattCRF

Hi I'm new to the BMA this year and enjoying the riding areas for sure. I'm not well connected in the sport nor with other members, but would like to have the chance to take more advice from fellow riders.

Specifically, I'm looking to plan more adventure touring &/or dualsport travel in the coming years. I'm looking to quit work next year to allow more time for this. This summer I got a taste of touring with a 3100 km trip around the Yukon. I'm interested in moto-camping mixed with more "upscale" trips, incorporating hotels when the budget allows, or any forms of glamping. I have a buddy with similar interest, so I'm not doing this alone.

What are some peoples experiences?

What are some of the better multi-day trips recommended locally (around Ontario & Quebec)? I think these would be great to get my feet wet (figuratively and literally), sort out gear and basically "shake out the sails".

What about nationally & further abroad? Western/Eastern Canada, South America, Asia, .... I'm the kind of guy would like to take a logical approach/natural progression of building up my experience and skills trip-by-trip.

Also, would people be interested in a Travel forum on this site? I don't see one, nor know how to create one.

Matt
Versys 1000
CRF250L
Silverado 4x4 & trailer

weekender

Hi Matt,

Some advice for long trips:
* gore-tex (or equivalent) gear - the stuff with the gore-tex laminated on the outside so you don't have to mess around with liners when things get wet; plus, all the gear stays dry with this setup, not just the inside liner.
* heated jacket liner (unless you're travelling exclusively in the summer)
* merino wool shirts - look-up the benefits of merino if you're not familiar with it. I've worn the same shirt for weeks on trips (and didn't get any funny looks when walking into restaurants)
* easy access to water - opening panniers every time you want a drink is a pain, and results in dehydration.
* a bug net for your head if you're heading north; but you likely already know this if you were in the Yukon. Trying to fix a flat without one could possibly push someone over the edge to insanity.

A great intro multi-day trip would be to the blue ridge parkway (ending with the tail of the dragon); but, the borders have to open first for that option.

Sounds like you'll be living life to the fullest next year. Nice!

Last edited:

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
Quebec
FQMHR pass / trail system
Explore Papineau-Labelle wildlife reserve for free, fantastic terrain
The Pontiac trail system isn't on FQMHR, but is on FQCQ - most trails are crown or unmaintained roads, multi use and doesn't require a pass
Every Zec in Quebec is a playground; I've only played in 3 so far and they were all amazing
The TQT was published this year, 6000 km's loop in Quebec - app is out with all the trails, thread on it on advrider
graveltravel.ca - Swisha Loop is a good one to get your feet wet on Quebec trails / Zec's and everything that province has to offer - plan 3 days if you are doing it with the 250L, versys 4 days.
Mont-Laurier is also on my hit list - stage from there and you can ride for weeks, many trails / options North of the 117

Ontario
Read up on RAP
Check out the OFTR trail app for Calabogie
Quadon.ca - note several trails are atv only

TAT and the entire BDR network is also on my shortlist when the border reopens

A biased opinion...
As for Ontario it sucks in comparison to what Quebec has to offer when it comes to DS. I've done every trail from Calabogie to Bancroft to Barry's Bay and Pembroke. Don't get me wrong, Ontario has fantastic trails, it simply can't compete with the Quebec terrain and sheer amount of trails and gravel roads, and I haven't even scratched the surface this year. I may be a bit biased because I ride out of Orleans, and if I'm going by way of Calabogie I take my 300, not the 690. You have to go far West in Ontario to find anything fun, Quebec, cross the river and you can create gravel / 2 track loops to anywhere and back with very minimal slab. I've put 12k on the 690 this year, 90% has been in Quebec, it's that good :)

Finally, most of the trails I discovered to make loops was me riding and exploring. The best purchase I made this year was FQMHR and backroadmapbook. I use a phone as a gps, so I subscribed to BRMB through Gaia GPS. They have a layer that shows every atv and ski-doo trail across canada. Some are outdated, but it gives you a place to start and several ski-doo trails in quebec are year-round multi-use

Enjoy!

MattCRF

Hi Matt,

Some advice for long trips:
* gore-tex (or equivalent) gear - the stuff with the gore-tex laminated on the outside so you don't have to mess around with liners when things get wet; plus, all the gear stays dry with this setup, not just the inside liner.
* heated jacket liner (unless you're travelling exclusively in the summer)
* merino wool shirts - look-up the benefits of merino if you're not familiar with it. I've worn the same shirt for weeks on trips (and didn't get any funny looks when walking into restaurants)
* easy access to water - opening panniers every time you want a drink is a pain, and results in dehydration.
* a bug net for your head if you're heading north; but you likely already know this if you were in the Yukon. Trying to fix a flat without one could possibly push someone over the edge to insanity.

A great intro multi-day trip would be to the blue ridge parkway (ending with the tail of the dragon); but, the borders have to open first for that option.

Sounds like you'll be living life to the fullest next year. Nice!
Thanks weekender. I haven't spent much money on gortex yet, other than gloves and boots. My jacket and pants are due for an upgrade--I'm getting by with rain shell pants and overcoat at the moment.

But I have long loved merino wool, so well equipped there. And I found a heated vest online that was perfect in the Yukon. We also avoided much of the bug season in Yukon by going late August. But yeah, otherwise great point.

MattCRF

Quebec
FQMHR pass / trail system
Explore Papineau-Labelle wildlife reserve for free, fantastic terrain
The Pontiac trail system isn't on FQMHR, but is on FQCQ - most trails are crown or unmaintained roads, multi use and doesn't require a pass
Every Zec in Quebec is a playground; I've only played in 3 so far and they were all amazing
The TQT was published this year, 6000 km's loop in Quebec - app is out with all the trails, thread on it on advrider
graveltravel.ca - Swisha Loop is a good one to get your feet wet on Quebec trails / Zec's and everything that province has to offer - plan 3 days if you are doing it with the 250L, versys 4 days.
Mont-Laurier is also on my hit list - stage from there and you can ride for weeks, many trails / options North of the 117

Ontario
Read up on RAP
Check out the OFTR trail app for Calabogie
Quadon.ca - note several trails are atv only

TAT and the entire BDR network is also on my shortlist when the border reopens

A biased opinion...
As for Ontario it sucks in comparison to what Quebec has to offer when it comes to DS. I've done every trail from Calabogie to Bancroft to Barry's Bay and Pembroke. Don't get me wrong, Ontario has fantastic trails, it simply can't compete with the Quebec terrain and sheer amount of trails and gravel roads, and I haven't even scratched the surface this year. I may be a bit biased because I ride out of Orleans, and if I'm going by way of Calabogie I take my 300, not the 690. You have to go far West in Ontario to find anything fun, Quebec, cross the river and you can create gravel / 2 track loops to anywhere and back with very minimal slab. I've put 12k on the 690 this year, 90% has been in Quebec, it's that good :)

Finally, most of the trails I discovered to make loops was me riding and exploring. The best purchase I made this year was FQMHR and backroadmapbook. I use a phone as a gps, so I subscribed to BRMB through Gaia GPS. They have a layer that shows every atv and ski-doo trail across canada. Some are outdated, but it gives you a place to start and several ski-doo trails in quebec are year-round multi-use

Enjoy!

MattCRF

Ok, ton of info! thanks so much Steph. And so much close by, too. I have some reading up to do and some field exploration. Downloaded the TQT already. I like that is stretches across the province, right out to Gaspe. I agree with your opinion that QC has lots to offer!

dhenry3ca

Hey Travel Thread Folks,

I'm super interested in hitting some of the trails that are listed on here. Graveltravel.ca is a an amazing source, and I will need to do some practice with my GPS to really make the most of that site. My primary concern would be heading off on some of these trips solo as some of it looks dodgy, and given the remoteness, it would seem like you would be waiting for assistance for quite some time. Thoughts?

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
I can't imagine travelling into off road territory by myself. It is just not something I would be comfortable doing.

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
Hey Travel Thread Folks,

I'm super interested in hitting some of the trails that are listed on here. Graveltravel.ca is a an amazing source, and I will need to do some practice with my GPS to really make the most of that site. My primary concern would be heading off on some of these trips solo as some of it looks dodgy, and given the remoteness, it would seem like you would be waiting for assistance for quite some time. Thoughts?

If I waited for someone to ride with on my DS I'd ride a faction of what I ride, that's just the reality of matching schedule and availability.
If you ride solo there is absolutely a higher risk, I do it, but have my limits. It doesn't matter how prepared you are, worst case scenario's do play out like the guy out West 3 years ago that fell down in a water crossing, bike pined him and he drowned.

I did Swisha for the first time last year, I would not do it solo as one section is a 2 hours ride out in either direction to a gravel road, it's that remote.
Everyone's risk tolerance is different :)

dhenry3ca

I guess when it comes right down to it, I just don't want to get stuck somewhere by myself, cause getting a heavy bike out of sand/mud is near impossible. I love solo riding and its what I do most often, but I've also gotten the bike stuck when I was on my own, and it came down to walking out to find help, or calling in a tow truck. In the end the only way out was to call in the tow. I do not want to get into that kind of predicament again.

Scott

Hi Mat

Just before the pandemic, I travelled to Thailand for some DS riding. We rented Honda CRF 250L bikes. The ridding was northern Thailand with a mix of asphalt, concrete, dirt, and trails. There are roads through steep mountains with nothing but switchback turns so tight, it was hard to get out of third. One road was about 1800 turns and took a good part of the day.

It’s a long flight, but once there it was incredibly inexpensive. Nice hotels in the north are about $24 per night for two people. Other than booking the flight, bike rentals, and first night stay in advance, we just followed a route and booked as we travelled.

Hope to get back there again!

Cheers
Scott

Pam62

Hi I'm new to the BMA this year and enjoying the riding areas for sure. I'm not well connected in the sport nor with other members, but would like to have the chance to take more advice from fellow riders.

Specifically, I'm looking to plan more adventure touring &/or dualsport travel in the coming years. I'm looking to quit work next year to allow more time for this. This summer I got a taste of touring with a 3100 km trip around the Yukon. I'm interested in moto-camping mixed with more "upscale" trips, incorporating hotels when the budget allows, or any forms of glamping. I have a buddy with similar interest, so I'm not doing this alone.

What are some peoples experiences?

What are some of the better multi-day trips recommended locally (around Ontario & Quebec)? I think these would be great to get my feet wet (figuratively and literally), sort out gear and basically "shake out the sails".

What about nationally & further abroad? Western/Eastern Canada, South America, Asia, .... I'm the kind of guy would like to take a logical approach/natural progression of building up my experience and skills trip-by-trip.

Also, would people be interested in a Travel forum on this site? I don't see one, nor know how to create one.

Matt
Versys 1000
CRF250L
Silverado 4x4 & trailer

Pam62

Matt,
I am interested in more adventure/dualsport travel as well. I have been on one trip a couple years ago to Blue Mountain. I am going on a motocamping trip around Algonquin Park beginning of July with a few other riders (WR250, KLX300, CRF250 and me CRF300). If you're interested in joining on that trip let me know.
Pam

MattCRF

Matt,
I am interested in more adventure/dualsport travel as well. I have been on one trip a couple years ago to Blue Mountain. I am going on a motocamping trip around Algonquin Park beginning of July with a few other riders (WR250, KLX300, CRF250 and me CRF300). If you're interested in joining on that trip let me know.
Pam
Hi Pam,

That would be great to tour around Algonquin especially with the benefit of joining some other riders. Much appreciated that you reached out. This would give me a chance to sort out my camping gear - currently not set up on my CRF for any luggage yet ;-(

If you're willing to have me tag along, you can reach me regarding details (when, where, etc) at matthew.k.good@gmail.com I potentially have some committments in Ottawa between july 7 and 17th, but I'm free and flexible otherwise, now that I've recently retired.