Trail riding fun-day

Terry

Staff member
New ride dates will appear as replies to the bottom of this topic, just navigate to the bottom of the last page.

Attendance issue:
If no one comes out to ride I will eventually stop maintaining the trails.

What's here:
  • 3 km of single-track trail. Easy main loop with optional colour coded tighter trails
  • Log crossings and rocks are small to keep it small wheel and new rider friendly. The turns are quite tight however providing an advantage for the smaller bikes
  • Technical help, riding tips and advice, tools & work space for repairs
U16 riders: Please drag a parent or a guardian along.

New Trail Riders: bring any off-road riding gear you can get your hands on. (boots & helmet are required). I have some donated riding gear to loan out if you need it. I also can loan out my CRF150F. I would prefer to limit the number of people using the guest bike but it shouldn't be stuck in the garage while all the other bikes are out having fun. Practise on the lawn with pylons if you like, try not to tear up the lawn or driveway.

Everyone, Bring quiet trail-bikes, trials-bikes, or mini-bikes. (Hand-guards highly recommended). Bring a snack or lunch. There is no fee to ride here but I could use help with maintenance once in a while. Donations to the MSF collection jar are always welcome. BMA membership not required. License or insurance not required. Bring a friend!

RSVP: Let me know what time you plan to arrive and how many are in your group. You can just show up but there is a real risk I won't stick around all day.

Here is what it looked like on July 31 2021 curtesy of Dave on his KTM 350

Attachments

• Terry's Trails.pdf
    185.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Terry

Staff member
I just finished clearing a new segment of trail last night. This is part of an easier, much less twisty, path that will loops around the property. It's meant for larger bikes that don't fit the tight trails to well and it will provide a nice transition from lawn riding to tight trails for new riders. Looks like a nice cross country skiing trail too.
See you all tomorrow,

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
I see you created a new/beginner trail last fall.

Is it safe to assume it would be appropriate for newer riders?

steph

Terry. Can you create a new or edit the title post pertaining to your ride days. The title can lead that you mean only in septembre.
tx

Terry

Staff member
The easy loop is the next place for beginner riders to try after getting comfortable going around trees or pylons on the lawn. It starts out at the back edge of the lawn and gently curves past the trials riding park. Stop and watch if you like. You then cross a 40 foot long wooden causeway made of old skids with an 24" wide plywood deck. Then, following the main corridor trail down the middle of the property, you're lead to a little clearing, situated about 1/3 of the way around the easy loop, here you can easily turn around and practice going back and forth between the lawn and the clearing, or you can keep going. If you keep going a few hundred feet later, the trail opens up onto an old tractor lane, If you like, this is a great place to practice wheelies or at least get up into 3rd gear for a second before going back into the single track. You are now about 1/2 way around the easy loop. The trail is still wide for a single track and the turns are gentle but increasing in number. All along this trail you will see lots of intersections. These optional trails are marked with colour coded trail tape. You are currently riding on the blue loop. As the blue loop comes to an end you are placed back on the main trail again where you can go right to go around again or left to cross the causeway back to the lawn. There are no steep hills or water crossings or mud holes or deep sand on the easy loop.

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Terry":2xd43cjv said:
The easy loop is the next place for beginner riders to try after getting comfortable going around trees or pylons on the lawn. It starts out at the back edge of the lawn and gently curves past the trials riding park. Stop and watch if you like. You then cross a 40 foot long wooden causeway made of old skids with an 18" wide plywood deck. Then, following the main corridor trail down the middle of the property, you're lead to a little clearing, situated about 1/3 of the way around the easy loop, here you can easily turn around and practice going back and forth between the lawn and the clearing, or you can keep going. If you keep going a few hundred feet later, the trail opens up onto an old tractor lane, If you like, this is a great place to practice wheelies or at least get up into 3rd gear for a second before going back into the single track. You are now about 1/2 way around the easy loop. The trail is still wide for a single track and the turns are gentle but increasing in number. All along this trail you will see lots of intersections. These optional trails are marked with colour coded trail tape. You are currently riding on the blue loop. As the blue loop comes to an end you are placed back on the main trail again where you can go right to go around again or left to cross the causeway back to the lawn. There are no steep hills or water crossings or mud holes or deep sand on the easy loop.

Sounds beautiful!

Torpedo

Where is this? i'm new to riding and it sounds like a great place to start. (i have my own bike and gear)

Terry

Staff member
My place is 10 minutes north of Kanata in Dunrobin. Contact me for the address I'd rather not post it here

Torpedo

Would love to make it but I'm away for work this week and don't get back till saturday afternoon. Next time!

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the awesome ride and hosting today. Brad and I really enjoyed ourselves. The trails have dried up nice and are lots of fun!

tjcool

this is exactly what I need...WHERE DO I SIGN?

I'm in...oh yeah baby! :mrgreen:...I'm even going to boycott the girlfriends b-day for this!...too heck with the consequences...

rocklandrider

My wife and I will be attending Sept 2 weather permitting of course. She's a new rider as well

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

jmajor

Hey Terry,

I'm out of town this weekend, but me and a buddy are looking to get out for some riding on the Government holiday, which is Monday Nov 13th - any chance you are also off that day and would host a couple guys itchin' to get out???

Thanks!

Jason

jmajor

That would work for us! of course it's weather dependant as well, but a 9am start for 2-3 hours would be awesome!

Jason

mart242

"These were the best 5 hours of my life" said my 9 yo son after spending most of Saturday at Terry's! On Sunday morning, first thing he asked was "are we going back today?". He spent most of the morning in the grass area and in the afternoon moved up to half of the blue trail.. and then the full blue trail. My oldest one focused on his clutch skills (first time with clutch) and pretty much followed the same path.

As for me, my lack of experience on dirt bikes showed, I was "humbled" by the tight turns of the single track trails and quite sore the next day. I eventually managed to not set a foot down in the blue trail by the end of the day :roll: Took me way more tries than I would have liked :lol: but hey, I was quite happy with my progress. The pink trail however was a different story..

We still have lots of work to do and will be quite happy to go back to Terry's to get some seat time!

Congrats to you! And big Shout out to Terry! Without his efforts this would not have happened! Hope to get my girls there soon! Still need some gear and time!
C