Spring is in the air

longzook

time to cut some trails on my own place and looking at brush cutting tools.. I got chainsaws, and a backhoe for the "sweet jumps" but I'm more interested in handheld brush cutters machetes sickles and such... what do you use and why do ya like it ? thanks Ron..

jbreedon

I'm a big fan of the Fiskars Brush Axe. It works great for most things up to an inch or so. It is also really good at pushing back the brush and getting rid of the face slappers. If I could have only one hand held tool it would be this. I usually take a good pair of bypass loppers with me as well. Its faster and easier for some of the bigger stuff or when you get tired of swinging. Its a pretty good combo and I can clean up trails pretty quick with them.

If you're cutting in new trail a Sandvik brush axe is perfect. It's not as good at trimming back the face slappers, but does a really good job at taking out the bush and small trees for making a new path. Its a little bit heavier but for new trails you're not usually covering as much ground.

I also use a blade on my brush cutter. It will quickly clear out the new growth a the base of the trail and then I go back over it with the brush axe to clean up the top part. I've done a few of the trails at Limerick this way and I've found that they don't grow back as quickly and don't require maintenance as often. The tricky part is to not make them too wide so we keep them single track.

Clearing trails is a great way to get back in shape for the riding season. I hope you have fun and most importantly the weather cooperates and you can start soon.

longzook

Thanks.. I come across the sandvick brush axe and it does look like a handy piece, the nice thing is the trail is just out back and I can cut at my leisure .. keeping it single track is a absolute must until arena cross sections.. lol

rackatttack

my list of tools for trail making/clearing areas follows
chainsaw (for bigger stuff)
wipper snipper with brushcutting blade
hand saw
and hand sheers (for face slappers )along with hunting tape to mark