South side ride Sunday 28th

smokin

Riding from the HGC. Boogie riding parking area. Per the picture.

9:00 meet up, ride 9:30

Attachments

• hcgboogieparking.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 2,309

RLefebvre

Sorry, new here, is this Limerick or Calabogie?

Edit: Figured it out, Calabogie Highlands Golf Club. Cool, been wanting to do explore that area. Is this suitable for CRF450L? What sort of day to be prepared for?

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
It might have changed, but last I heard I thought the golf courses was asking us to not park there.

Markf1251

I'd love to join.

I think it was asked to not use HGC parking and use Bompas/Tatty Hill instead though.

-Mark

smokin

We can park on top of the ridge per the picture. Need to maintain 6 feet vehicle separation as well.

smokin

For newbies: HGC = Highlands Golf Course - Barryvale Rd. Less than 100 kilometers is typical ride. Intermediate ride. If we get over ten will break up.

smokin

Pic. from ride. Seem to have cut Dave out! Sorry, panorama didn't work :(

Attachments

• sundayride28ty.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,175

RLefebvre

Thanks for the ride guys and thanks especially for getting me out alive. That's why I join a club. Glad I didn't ruin the day for everybody though.

I did get out after and enjoyed the easy stuff.

106127002_10158095065386014_8005841554826943255_o.jpg

74214107_10158095065166014_2026310372191102097_o.jpg

RLefebvre

smokin":1h9f838m said:
Good ride today. Rob cut out early. Bike needs different gearing for trail work! Next time!

So I looked into this. The L already has the same gearing as the X: 13/52. Dropping to a 12 in front is getting a bit small, so I don't think I can do this. Worse than the gearing was the stalling so I'll focus on that. Bumping up the idle a bit helps so I'll do that. But otherwise probably more flywheel and clutch basket weight.

But ultimately I'm less interested in technical single track and more on dual sport riding so I have to watch the compromises.

mart242

How nice / interesting is that trail? (the hydro line one) Is it challenging to get to it? I ride with my kids and the youngest one is on a CRF125FB so can't clear everything.. first year for him with a clutch as well. Kids are novice and can do a good chunk of Limerick but the young one has a tough time with the super sandy stuff.. Some higher speed trails would be nice so he can get used to it.. and would likely be easier on hot days than sweating in the forest.

RLefebvre

It's a fairly easy ride compared to what you guys are doing. There's a few "hill climbs" that would be challenging to a beginner. Not impossible, but definitely challenging. Probably good training. No sand really. The climbs are just moderate with some good sized rocks. Worst thing is there is some water to cross. I've done this trail a number of times in my truck. The water can be up to hood-level in the spring. I walked it to be sure since I was alone, and it was about knee deep. So again, doable, but challenging for a beginner.

Note that... I'm not 100% sure of the legality. One end of it was posted as private, which I don't really get. But lots of signs of people using it. The north end was gated even, but then there's a well used trail going around. I didn't see the gate until the end and I wasn't going back. There are also roadways that intersect it, and they are not posted. This is all new. We took a group of 20 trucks through May 2019.

mart242

Hmm, the hill climb will likely be too difficult for my youngest one due to the large rocks. Looks like it will have to wait a year..