Plastic skid plates

Looking to get some opionions on plastic skid plates.

I bottom out on rocks fairly frequently and am wondering if plastic skid plates will provide sufficient protection to keep my engine case from cracking?

bohomoto

I was speaking to someone at the Shawville ride about this (I think it was Fran's son) and he prefers the composite skid plates to the metal ones.

They are less expensive; they have less ground friction when you do bottom out; they are lighter; and they provide adequate protection.

I have to admit that I prefer the looks of my aluminum one but... its a dirt bike.... functionality rules in this domain.,

Thanks for the feedback Blake.

I also wanted to mention, that I don't think all the plastic skid plates are created equal. I suspect the ones that come on the bike stock aren't as good as the more expensive aftermarket ones. I was looking at a TM Designworks skid plate in paticular.

mlevesqu

Hi Kevin,

I have been riding a TM Designs Plastic Skid plate on my 150XC. I t is holding up and providing protection so far.
No complaints aside from the additional cost versus an aluminum skid plate. Plastic also runs quieter, aluminum provides more resonance from drivetrain noise in my opinion...

Regards,

Marc