My neck is fine

Gord

50+ years of riding means 50+ years of crashing. I have crashed in almost every way imaginable, this was a weird one.

Calabogie, late 90’s. From Marc’s view, I climbed a hill, slid out in the left hander at the top, jumped up, grabbed my helmet with both hands and didn't move. He thought I hurt my neck and was supporting my head. It didn’t help that I didn't answer to “Are you okay?” when he pulled up.

From my view, I entered the corner with more exuberance than traction, lost the rear end and low-sided. Not weird. Tuck and roll then up on feet. Still not weird. Then I felt a weird pain in my nose. It took a bit to realize what happened, and that is when both hands went to helmet.

During the tuck and roll, my helmet rotated forward, pushing my goggles and glasses down my face. Far enough down that the nose pads of my glasses hooked my nostrils. When the helmet rolled back, my glasses, with nose pads firmly hooked in my nostrils, were stretching my nose in ways a nose was never meant to be stretched. And the goggles kept it like that.

With both hands on helmet, I pulled down on mouth guard to take the pressure off my nose. Relief! Enjoyed it for a minute, ignoring Marc, then took goggles off, unhooked glasses, and explained.

Last edited: