Introducing Kids to dirt bikes

asquenazi

Hi Team, I would like to introduce my daughters (7 and 4 years old) to dirt bike, and make sure they like it before moving forward and get bikes, gear and etc...
Any suggestion on where I can rent bikes, gear etc for a day or so, will be really appreciated.
I was informed Trail Tours in Toronto have something similar to what I am looking for.
Thanks for your help.

Anderson

Terry

Staff member
There aren't nearly enough options available in or near Ottawa to try off-road riding for kids or for adults. I'll ask BMA to set up a sub-forum on here specifically to connect those with kids or beginner bikes in their possession with those wanting their kids to try out the sport. Try-out-a-kids-bike rides board? There are risks of course such as who pays for damages to the bikes and are the bikes in good enough condition to safely let someone try. It should be in everyone's interest here to try to help facilitate the next generation of off-road riders.

I have no kid bikes in the size you are looking for but I do have a CRF150F that is good for a person about 5 feet tall to ride. Say, 13 years old and up. (I ride it :D ). It and my CRF230F are always available to try and I have a 2.5 km kid friendly trail network and a largish lawn that people could bring kid bikes to and meet those rider wanting to try riding. I don't coordinate these meetings, that's up to you. This could also be a try before you buy situation where you could try a bike but also buy a bike if owner is interested in selling it.

I had 14 scheduled ride-days last year mostly on Saturdays and will continue to host these events in 2018. All ride days are announced here on this forum about 1-2 weeks in advance. I may be able to help with teaching a bit but I will not babysit your kid, (I like to ride and visit on these ride-days). Bike owners and borrowers are most welcome to meet here on a ride day or possibly other times as can be arranged with me. I won't accept any fee for use of my trails but donations of riding gear, especially in kids sizes will be accepted and the gear will be made available for all to borrow as needed, and time spent doing trail maintenance is always appreciated.
Sorry to have hijacked your thread.

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
SRA motocross might be a good option, 2 hours from Ottawa, north of Montreal.
They rent bikes / equipment and have two dedicated kids tracks.
One is flat, small open field, the other one more of a traditional track, but again, for beginners.

I've been to Trail Tours and SRA motocross, both would meet your needs.
Shoot me an e-mail if you want to chat over the phone, happy to share what I've seen / experienced at both locations.

MarkDGregory

Here is a couple of options I found looking for the same.

Ottawa option is Moto Park Racing - hourly and full day rental, lessons as well, I have never visited.
https://www.motoparkracing.com/rates-and-dates.html

South of Peterborough there is Trail Tours (As mentioned by Stephlal) - good program - half days available. Call ahead - they are very accommodating and considerate for kid - in the spirit of getting kids to love the sport. Did the program many years ago.
http://trailtours.ca/

-Mark

Anderson,
My daughters are 8 and 6 now and I am in the same situation. We visited 4 bike shops today to size them up on various brands and models. I have a better feeling now moving forward to purchase for them. All the shops have a small selection of used gear which is great. As they continue to grow they will need larger gear/protection sizing.
The small bike market is narrow and holds value.
I too wish there was something local for the kids to try it out before purchasing. Until then, I buy my children bikes or rely on buddies to share their kids rides!
Chris

asquenazi

Hi Team, thanks for all answers to my posting. I really appreciate it.

At this point, I am considering going to Trail Tours in Toronto in May, once my oldest daughter (21 years of age) has decided to try as well.

Hopefully entire family will ride together.

Again, thanks all of you.

Have a nice day

Anderson