Insurance for my kid

rldwallace

I'm trying to find insurance for my two CRFs. One's a 230 for me, and the other is a 70 for my 11 year old son, but they are both in my name. I've tried State Farm, Desjardin, Personal Co. They always ask if a kid is going to ride the bike and then they refuse to insure me. Are you guys all lying to your companies?

greybeard

My insurance company always asks if we have any underage riders, and we say no. However, my smallest bike is a 250, so they don't bother too much with it. In the final analysis, I would be liable if an underage rider rode one of my bikes and something happened. I take the risk with my grandson who is currently 17.

Skyllz

rldwallace":3np3gcvc said:
I'm trying to find insurance for my two CRFs. One's a 230 for me, and the other is a 70 for my 11 year old son, but they are both in my name. I've tried State Farm, Desjardin, Personal Co. They always ask if a kid is going to ride the bike and then they refuse to insure me. Are you guys all lying to your companies?

Pretty much... that's the game...

Terry

Staff member
Try another State farm agent. Mine, Mark Reid in Kanata, sold me coverage for my 150 and 230 with an endorsement, forget the number, that specifically covers unlicensed underage operators and is intended for children. It only costs $93/year/bike

pat74

Terry":exc7wwy2 said:
Try another State farm agent. Mine, Mark Reid in Kanata, sold me coverage for my 150 and 230 with an endorsement, forget the number, that specifically covers unlicensed underage operators and is intended for children. It only costs $93/year/bike

The problem is that State farm was bought by Desjardins, everyone that had insurance with them previously will keep there insurance as is. But the new comer are subject to Desjardins rules. I believe they don't offer theft and kids insurance anymore.

rldwallace

I really don't like the term "Underage". It suggests that there is an age that one must be in order to legally ride off-road.
Anyhow, I have written [email='mflalonde.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org]'mflalonde.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org[/email]' (Orleans MPP), that there is a problem when the province makes a law requiring liability insurance for off-road driving when NO company is willing to offer it.
If anyone else is also frustrated with this, it only takes a few minutes to drop them a line. Numbers make a difference.

Reactions: fyr

rldwallace

Thank Oxmach. I'm feeling more encouraged!

There seems to lots of confusion.

The MPP's office pointed me to this page (http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broch ... s.aspx#six) saying
To drive an off-road vehicle, you must have at a minimum, a valid G2/M2 or greater driver's license unless you are driving on your private property. If you plan to drive the vehicle anywhere other than on the private property of the vehicle's owner, you must also have the same mandatory insurance coverage as an automobile.

Your insurance broker, agent, or insurance company representative can provide you with a complete explanation of coverages available for off-road vehicles.

This is not consistent with the Off-Road Vehicles Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.4
(https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90o04).

Terry

Staff member
So they finally did it, they have outlawed fun. Does the OFTR know about this document? This is the sort of thing we have been paying them to try to deal with.

Oxmach

rldwallace":2p2g08rs said:
Thank Oxmach. I'm feeling more encouraged!

There seems to lots of confusion.

The MPP's office pointed me to this page (http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broch ... s.aspx#six) saying
To drive an off-road vehicle, you must have at a minimum, a valid G2/M2 or greater driver's license unless you are driving on your private property. If you plan to drive the vehicle anywhere other than on the private property of the vehicle's owner, you must also have the same mandatory insurance coverage as an automobile.

Your insurance broker, agent, or insurance company representative can provide you with a complete explanation of coverages available for off-road vehicles.

This is not consistent with the Off-Road Vehicles Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.4
(https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90o04).

I think the Financial Services page was someones attempt at condensing / generalizing the law, lumping 2 wheel and 4 wheel into the same category, and as you know there are different stipulations for both within the ORVA. I would defer to the Off Road Vehicle Act, check out Dalton and go riding :)

Cheers,
Greg

rldwallace

Agreed! Dalton was $200 for the 70 and $300 for the 230 PLPD only. Expensive but better than paying $100 each for essentially nothing.

zedro

I'd be curious to tell an agent that since its mandatory by law to have insurance, it's mandatory for them to offer it. Maybe that'll flush out any non-preferential plan monkey business. Not sure why they wouldn't even offer an over-inflated deal, there should be zero reason why they wouldn't cover a kid, risk wise it's almost zero in reality. It's not self injury coverage anyways.

babzog

rldwallace":1g6svizn said:

I got insurance for my 8 yr old to ride last year from state farm. Since it's off road only, liability only, they had no issue with it.

Oxmach

Carfreak77":1mzaxp44 said:
Oxmach":1mzaxp44 said:
The OFTR just announced a group insurance policy that includes all ages for green plate.

http://www.oftr.ca/wp-content/uploads/2 ... cement.pdf

Broker is DaltonTimmis

Hope this works out for you.

This link isn’t working. Is there still a group insurance policy? I’m trying to get insurance for my 15 year old and myself. Not having any luck so far.

I just checked with the OFTR president and the program is still on, not sure but maybe website content changed and link is broken.

Contact is:
Kyle Brown
888-385-8466 ext 7445
kyleb@daltontimmis.com

Hope it works out for you.

I was approved for coverage with Mark Reid Statefarm. We have had him insure us for ten years. I was told that they consulted the underwriter and based on our lack of claims that they can insure the tt r 50. An adult needs to be with the under aged rider.