Insurance for my kid

Carfreak77

I’ve heard that State Farm will do it for existing customers from before Desjardins bought them but not for new customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snapshot

New BMA member and trail rider here (with two younger sons). Phoned Nicole McCann since she's a sponsor and was told that they flat-out refuse to insure anyone under 16. I was then looking through offroadontario.ca and found a forum thread from State Farm agent George Rappos in Newmarket, who apparently rides as well. Called him and got liability insurance for my 3 bikes within 30 minutes. He didn't ask who was riding, or their age, even after I mentioned that all kinds of family and friends were going to ride them. He confirmed that State Farm had been bought out by Desjardins.

Not affiliated with him in any way, but if you're stuck, try him at 905-895-7775, or at georgerappos.com

Best of luck!

mart242

Snapshot":3veuvt0z said:
New BMA member and trail rider here (with two younger sons). Phoned Nicole McCann since she's a sponsor and was told that they flat-out refuse to insure anyone under 16. I was then looking through offroadontario.ca and found a forum thread from State Farm agent George Rappos in Newmarket, who apparently rides as well. Called him and got liability insurance for my 3 bikes within 30 minutes. He didn't ask who was riding, or their age, even after I mentioned that all kinds of family and friends were going to ride them. He confirmed that State Farm had been bought out by Desjardins.

Not affiliated with him in any way, but if you're stuck, try him at 905-895-7775, or at georgerappos.com

Best of luck!

you've insured bikes only? or had to bring house or car? What's the price per bike? I pay ~110 - 130 per bike in my case. CRF110 is more than CRF125!

Snapshot

mart242":3lb23u2y said:
you've insured bikes only? or had to bring house or car? What's the price per bike? I pay ~110 - 130 per bike in my case. CRF110 is more than CRF125!

Insured the bikes only (liability), 150XC-W, KLX110L and TTR-125LE, all 2018s, for approx $75 per bike.

mart242

Snapshot":2hize5q1 said:
mart242":2hize5q1 said:

Insured the bikes only (liability), 150XC-W, KLX110L and TTR-125LE, all 2018s, for approx $75 per bike.

thanks! I'll give him a shout!

mart242

Snapshot":15n9usof said:

Best of luck!

Called and he cannot do it anymore.. or make sure to keep it really generic when you call! ie: no mention of age.

brokenwrench66

New member posting to an old thread.

My son and I missed the Family ride at Limerick today because my insurance company, TD, flatly refused to insure our CRF110 (we didn't even get to the part about my son riding it). I've tried the links here and can't get them to work for me. It's a Sunday, so I can't call them, but I see no mention of the OFTR on the Dalton Timmis website. Does anyone know if the group policy is still active? If not, where can I get PL/PD for a CRF110?

Thanks!

Terry

Staff member
This situations is getting worse it seems. I'm grandfathered into a policy with state farm (desjardins) So I'm OK but this is ridiculous for those tiring to get into the sport with kids today. I can do nothing to help young families other than to invite you to ride on my little trails where you don't need any insurance. Here is a link to my thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2675 where I post the invitations to ride days as they come up. Subscribe to the thread now and you will get an email when I announce the next ride day.
cheers,

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Terry is correct, this is getting worse.

From what I understand, I am NOT an expert... Desjardin changed things and existing policy holders were grandfathered. New policies though are limited to 12+ years of age children with Desjardin. I am not sure of Dalton, but that may be the last option for children.

I really hope the OFTR is working on this.

Marilius

New policies with Desjardin are 16+. I moved my bike over to them this season and they must of told me about 5 times that it's 16+. When i got the papers in the mail it had it again right at the top in bold. :(

I was with Dalton but the cost for my bike went up about 45% :(. they still killed it for house and car but bike are $$$$ with them now.

I am with Mark Reid. State farm and have everything with them for 15 years now. Just a call away for my daughters bike ttr50.
Chris

Torpedo

I'm just about to give up on getting my little guy a bike this year. I have literally called a dozen companys looking for them to insure a 50cc for my 5 year old. Not a one will. Most won't even insure my biking with a "underage" person living at the same address.

I've tried, Chris mentioned above who won't. I've left three messages at Dalton Timmins. I cannot get through on the regular lines.

I'm getting desperate and really want to get my little buddy into the sport..

If anyone knows who will and has direct contacts please share or feel free to email me (king.mp@me.com)

Torpedo

Reid & Bradley's (Orleans)
Dalton Timmis
Desjardins
George R.
BrokerLink
Palladium

All firm no for kids under 10 on dirt bike.

Anyone know of anyone else I should try?

Trevd

I had the same problem getting my kid insured this past year. I had had insurance on his ttr-50 a couple of years ago for his sister, with State Farm, but didn’t renew for a year because she wasn’t interested and my younger son wasn’t old (responsible) enough yet.

When I called State Farm again to re-insure the same bike, the told me they can’t. If I had had continuous insurance they would have been able to grandfather it in, but since it was a new policy, no-go. Called several other places, and couldn’t find anyone who would. Pretty frustrating.

I’ll probably be trying again this year, but kind of expect the same results. The fun thing is that his 13 year old sister is interested again so we’ll see if I’m able to insure a 100cc for her.

SkyHawk

Has anyone figured this out yet. Called around to many places all week. Spent alot of time on phone. Still have nothing. Suggestions? Anyone successful this year? Last year?

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge there are 2 options if your children are 12 or older.

I think the average is about $100/year, and an M1 or M2 is not required.

The problem you are hitting, and everyone else is too, is that not many insurance companies want to insure dirt bikes.

These are the two I know of:
https://www.nicolemccann.ca/
Nicole McCann
905-898-4009
nicole.mccann@desjardins.com

https://www.daltontimmis.com/
Kyle Brown
888-385-8466 ext 7445
kyleb@daltontimmis.com

I must warn you they will want more than just your dirt bike business ;-)

Ross

SkyHawk

Yeah. I've called both those guys already. No go. Our system is broken. I guess I made a bad purchase, should have just bough another iPad.

Keep me posted if anyone has any success...

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
SkyHawk":mjralhsl said:
Yeah. I've called both those guys already. No go. Our system is broken. I guess I made a bad purchase, should have just bough another iPad.

Keep me posted if anyone has any success...

I am surprised that neither of those have worked for you.

Are your children under 12?

I agree something has to change with insurance of kids. There needs to be more options available.