Insurance for my kid

SaltLick

We have 250cc, 150cc, 110cc and 50cc. With the 2 bigger bikes, no problem getting insurance. For the other 2 bikes that the kids ride, can't find anyone to insure them. We have recently gotten into dirt bikes and have gone to the Mx track but want to do trail riding as a family.

With the difficulty getting insurance on the smaller bikes, does anyone experience issues with OPP still ticketing for lack of insurance on smaller CC for kids if the parents are riding with larger bikes that are insured?

This sport is seemingly more prohibitive than it was first made out to be, especially for kids..

CC44

16 yrs old yz125 ($250per year) co-operators ins under car insurance. no other way spent endless hours on this frustrating topic! if i knew it was going to be hard to just go out a legally ride I would have picked up dual sport more access to trails and road use. I ride a yz250 2 stroke insurance 95.00 a year. 50 yrs old very new rider big bike fast and unforgiving. (technically I'm more of a risk so going through the process it didn't make sense.) I do understand that their is many before us new riders that have added in ruining it for the rest. my son and go riding in limerick great place for trial riding fairly easy to navigate, I try and stay of the 4 wheel trails as the fly through them fast. as for OPP they are out a fair amount and have given out fines. (in my opinion the risk is not worth it) I wanted a to get a 150cc and no luck for insurance. good luck.

RLefebvre

We have 250cc, 150cc, 110cc and 50cc. With the 2 bigger bikes, no problem getting insurance. For the other 2 bikes that the kids ride, can't find anyone to insure them. We have recently gotten into dirt bikes and have gone to the Mx track but want to do trail riding as a family.

With the difficulty getting insurance on the smaller bikes, does anyone experience issues with OPP still ticketing for lack of insurance on smaller CC for kids if the parents are riding with larger bikes that are insured?

This sport is seemingly more prohibitive than it was first made out to be, especially for kids..

Yep. They stopped my daughter in Limerick and fined us/me. She was riding on the shoulder of the gravel road, returning to parking after we got lost. Doing 20 km/h on the side of the road, she was in full gear, including boots, kneed, elbow, chest protector, on a little DRX70. He listed like 3-4 things he could fine us for, including insurance. He ended up reducing it to some BS charge , non-moving violation, but still cost me $200, and said if we were caught again he'd retroactively give us all of them.

I griped to him about trying to get the kids off the computer, which seemed to sway him. But I think they just are not aware that it is virtually impossible to buy insurance for kids. He just said "Everybody else here has it". After he left, I polled the lot, and most did not. They were just hoping he didn't check them.