Insurance for Kids

Trevd

With State Farm becoming Desjardins, it seems that they no longer provide insurance for kid’s dirt bikes. I’m having a really tough time finding reasonable insurance for my 8 year old’s Yamaha TTR-50.

Can anyone point me in a good direction?

Trevor

Trevd

I called them.... Kyle is on holidays for another week and the guy I was talking to said that I would probably have to bring all my business over, which I was hoping to not have to do. Just last summer we got a good deal on all our insurance at TD.

I don’t think companies should be allowed to insist on getting other business in order to write one policy.

I’m going to try calling TD again and see if they’ll cover the little bike. They didn’t want to a few years ago, but maybe if they realize that they might lose all my business they may reconsider...

steph

I have done the dalton timmins switch and you need to ensure that they know about the understanding with OFTR. I am saving lots of money with truck policy also. I have kept my other bikes with state farm.
The Underwriter is Northbridge that does the OPCF 32. You can check with Bradley's in Stittsville.
Legislation does not permit them to force you to carry over all policies. That is just a tactic to make more money. But for me it was worth it.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Torpedo

Reid & Bradley's (Orleans)
Dalton Timmis
Desjardins
George R.
BrokerLink
Palladium

All firm no for kids under 10 on dirt bike.

Anyone know of anyone else I should try?

CanadianMohawk

Any answers to this without having to switch all my insurance over? Seems the last post by Torpedo indicates insurance for children under 10 is not possible?

Some update on small bike insurance:

I just sold my wife and kids bikes(125, 110 and 50 cc). I called to cancel my insurance on all 3 bikes (with the only company I could find that would insure) and when I cancelled they told me: "Before I cancel your insurances, you must know that it will be impossible to get it back as we will not insure any bikes that are 150cc or less going forward."

.. kinda weird as 150cc bikes are definitely not kids' bikes, maybe teenagers' bikes. I think insurance for kids' bikes in Ontario is something that will not exist anymore unless you already had it before...

That's the main reason I got my kids out of the sport. Tired of fighting with the insurance companies every time one of my kid needs to upsize his bike, or riding "half-legal" always worried about getting a ticket.

Simon

CanadianMohawk

I think you might be right. I'm waiting on a call back from a broker. And also have one other option I"ll try before concluding the same. It seems they'll have to stick to private land if they want to ride. Sad, because i wanted to be able to ride down at Limerick. If i can't get insurance, and thus can't ride limerick, there is no point in me getting a family pass. Just a single pass for myself I guess.

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
I recently read in another forum that cooperators will cover <150cc bikes if you have another policy with them.
I don't know what that means or entails, but an option to check out.

Trevd

I insured my son's CRF110 last year with TD insurance. It's under my name, they never asked who was riding it. They automatically put the OCPF 32 thing on it, which I presume covers me. Either way, I have pink slip to show if I ever get stopped, which we did last summer. at Limerick.

The kicker is that the insurance costs $230 per year, which is what I pay for my DRZ400 street-legal bike (also insured with TD) and more than double what I pay for insurance on my dirt-only KTM 200. It's ridiculous, but what other option do I have? I did not want to go another year of not having insurance and hoping to not get stopped.

The whole issue of insurance for dirt bikes for kids is super frustrating, and beyond comprehension. According to the OFTR, there have been no claims in Ontario for kids on dirt bikes in many, many years, so I'm really not sure what the hesitation is.

Gord

This came up in AGM a few minutes ago. Apparently the key is to not try to insure in child's name, but to insure the child's bike in adult's name (as Trevd describes). This isn't gaming the system, everything is above board and all needed coverage is in place

Just repeating what I heard, that exhausts my knowledge on subject, do your own research!

Trevd

geastman":lg17tg05 said:
This came up in AGM a few minutes ago. Apparently the key is to not try to insure in child's name, but to insure the child's bike in adult's name (as Trevd describes). This isn't gaming the system, everything is above board and all needed coverage is in place

Just repeating what I heard, that exhausts my knowledge on subject, do your own research!

The problem is that more insurers are not even insuring bikes 150cc or less. Desjardins (formerly State Farm) has that policy. So if my wife wants a Honda 125, she can't insure it with Desjardins for a reasonable amount... or any amount for that matter. Instead, she would have to insure it with TD or similar for what I can only assume are rates that are similar to what a street bike of similar CC would pay for insurance, which is ridiculous given the obviously lower risk involved with riding on a trail compared to riding during rush hour traffic on any major street.

So it not only prevents young people from joining the sport, it also prevents small stature people, like my wife, from joining. In the long run, it could also prove more difficult for all new riders, because instead of buying a small first bike to learn on, people will end up buying bigger bikes that are harder to handle, and use those to try to learn on.

Frustrating...

Frankiebpr

Has anyone been able to insure a bike under 150CC recently? I got a new KLX140 for my son and am trying to find insurances... many places are just saying they don't insure off-road motorcycles.
thanks!!!!
FB

CanadianMohawk

Thanks all. I'll try Desjardins anyway, TD and Co-operaters and report back. I will be asking for insurance for myself instead of the kids, with the OPCF-32. Seems shady imo. My own Co-operators group insurance said no way to less than 150cc, but they're weird with bikes in general and are a different entity than the non-group co-operators. The broker recommended talking to George R, but it seems like that's already been tried above.