I was reminded of a useful tech tip

Gord

Dave’s advice about keeping carb from freezing in the winter riding thread reminded me of an incident at this year’s Boogie.

I’m terrible with trail names, but it was Saturday afternoon, possibly DMZ. At the bottom of a ravine, there is a short bridge with steel grating on top of logs.

At the top of the hill approaching this, I bounced off-line and tipped over in the brush. Picked the bike up, coasted down the hill a bit and bump-started. And got a couple of seconds of unplanned thrill as the bike shot forward, motor screaming.

Fortunately I was aimed right and got to the clutch, then kill switch, on the other side of bridge.

Apparently there was an unfortunately placed branch where I tipped over, that caught the throttle cable and pulled it out of the adjuster on top of carb. I popped it back in place and finished the ride.

I used to always safety-wire this as part of bike prep, but got out of the habit. This is a reminder of why safety wiring throttle cable is a good idea.

zedro

Motion pro also makes a pretty trick cable that's longer (for KTMs) for better routing, threaded at the carb and a big billet adjuster at the tube. Seems better reinforced to avoid kinks too. It's pricier but I consider it a good safety item.