Hydration

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
Riding in 40+ heat on Canada long weekend got me to rethink hydration.
I read a ton and found: https://myvega.ca/collections/sports-nu ... s-i-5-2-oz
I'll let you read up on ingredients, what to look for etc...this is the best one I found at a reasonable price in Canada.
I do a scoop per 750ml so its not as sweet, in my 2.5L camelback, 3 scoops.
You get 8 times the potassium with this stuff compared to a Gatorade bottle.

They often come on special for 15-20% off, at 20$ a tub its cheaper then Gatorade, without the sugar, and loaded with the right stuff.

That's what I use. I do one scoop the night before and another scoop for my water bottle that I drink on my drive to Calabogie. I don't add it to my camelback, I'm afraid it'll promote mold growth, not sure if that fear is justified.

You can by the Vega electrolytes at shoppers and some grocery stores.

Gord

I will try this Saturday to see what it does for my cramping. It does not help that (to varying degrees) I come off the couch for the Boogie each year. But I do have a bit of a regimen - lots of water leading up to Saturday, banana with breakfast and another on the drive up, lots of water before and during ride, and (always!) a second butter tart with lunch. Still, I invariably cramp during the afternoon ride. And (despite post-ride chocolate milk recovery and lots more water) get bad leg cramps on drive home and/or in evening.

I bought a tub of the Vega Sport Hydrator (on sale at local Shoppers, thx for tip). Like Kevin, I am reluctant to put anything but water in drink system. I thought of various ways to carry compact mixing/drinking container including collapsible camping cup and small volume soft drinking bottle. Then had a better idea that I tested this morning:

Dump a scoop in a ziploc sandwich bag. When zipped and rolled up it takes almost no space, carry as many as you need. When time to hydrate, fill 1/3 to 1/2 full with water from drink system, zip, and shake to mix. Unzip about 1" and pinch so it doesn’t open further. Leaves a nice drinking spout to chug back the (slightly) vile mix.

Hi Gord!
I use a "Nalgene" bottle from Mountain Equipment Co op. Takes me to 3 L for a day ride. They are bullet proof.

I use Pedialyte (Shoppers) kids replacement electrolyte drink when needed.

Boost/Equate to add further supplements.

Nothing in the hydration pack but water.

Hope this helps. Keep on with the bananas you monkey!!! :lol:
Chirs