How many KM's of trails in Larose?

slowe1

Larose can be a tough spot to ride but lots of fun and a great workout for intermediate riders. You could do all the trails fast in less than an hour for a great workout and then turn around and go the other direction. You'd need to be in extremely good shape to do it three times.

Any skill level can ride it but the roots may intimidate newer riders. Lots of clutch work in the technical parts if riding slow. The trails on the north end should not be a problem for anyone.

It's usually very wet but conditions are great right now. Very little standing water and many of the ruts were fixed last fall. Bugs aren't too bad right now either.

Jackrabbit

Is there any prospect of convincing the powers that be to give at least blue plated bikes access to the ATV trails as well? Nothing against green plated bikes, but having ridden through ruts up to my shoulders on the single track at Larose, the ATV's might be worried about the high-test bikes damaging the trails.

Not that every bike need be as gutless as my XT225 (which has gotten me, very slowly, through some mud holes I never thought I'd be able to come out of). I find the single track at Larose a bit much, but a nice ride through wooded areas on the ATV trails would be welcome.

I'm willing to assist in this kind of initiative; I live in the county so should presumably be able to raise it with county council or whoever needs to be approached.

Cheers

slowe1

It's very unlikely that you will have any success convincing the ATV club to open their trails to bikes. I agree that a responsible rider would not damage the trails but there is a lot of history in the forest that will not be forgotten. There were some bad apples before the trails became organized that left a negative perception. Just my 2 cents.
One option to improve the trails is to join the crews that clear the trails in the spring. This is an opportunity to clear paths around the rutty sections and make the tracks more rider friendly.

Trevd

slowe1":2ye7apmh said:
Any skill level can ride it but the roots may intimidate newer riders.

Yep, the roots may definitely intimidate newer riders, especially those with small wheels. I took my 9 year old to Larose a few evenings ago, and he found the roots quite challenging at times. Several times I had to get off my bike and help push him over some of the bigger roots. By the end though he had figured it out a bit, and was doing much better and I had to help him way less. Tired him out quickly though.

I enjoyed the trails though. Great that it's there!

View attachment 20200826_174642 (1)-1.jpg

View attachment 20200826_174648-1.jpg

Trevor