Getting stuck - too many decisions!

PaulF

Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to dirt bike riding myself and my daughters (12 and 10) want to join in but I'm struggling to make it all work. Any advice would be very very appreciated!

I've just signed up with OFTR and in an ideal world, I'd buy dirt bikes for myself and my daughters plus a trailer and everything would be glorious. However...

My daughters spent a day riding trail bikes near Simcoe Forest a couple of years ago so they have a reasonable idea of what's involved and they're very enthusiastic but I'd prefer not to go all-in until they've proven that they like the sport long-term and we do it regularly so I'm trying to think through doing it on a budget this year and see what happens. My initial plan is to get a single bike 110cc or similar size with an automatic clutch so they're not dealing with clutch control as well as learning off-road riding, probably new as I never see them available second-hand. Once they've got more experience, I'd get a 125cc for the older daughter. I have a BMW F800GS that I've done some limited off-roading on and I'd be happy riding it with my daughters as being novices, we should be on easy terrain where its size isn't a significant handicap.

So far, so good however, 1) My total budget is a max of $8k that needs to include bikes, protective gear, welding a hitch to a Mazda CX-7 and a trailer / carrier and 2) I have a single garage full of recycling boxes, cat litter trays, cycles and random debris so there's no room for a standard trailer.

I'm really averse to spending half of my budget on a folding trailer like a Stinger or Kendon that can carry the F800 as it means I don't have enough money left for a 2nd bike so they can both join in. I think I have enough tongue weight capacity to get a carrier that can take two 125cc bikes but that means I don't have a bike and need to find very open loops for them to ride so I can watch or I need to chase them on the mountain bike.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and made it work? I think this year I invest in the hitch + carrier and just get fit mountain biking. Can anyone suggest trails where this would be fun and practical? I know Sand Del Lee has some dedicated kids time first thing in the mornings and that would give me a break from chasing them. If they want to keep doing it and they get experienced enough for longer or harder trails, then I'd need to save up for an expensive trailer. Short term while I sort the hitch, would I get away with wrapping the bike in a tarp and strapping it into the back of the car?

Any advice on budget folding trailers, decent trails or just ideas I haven't thought of would be very very appreciated.

Many thanks
Paul

Marilius

Hey Paul,

Welcome!!

For your trailer issue.... I was there, they cost a lot even the crappy used ones and no where to put it at home. So i rented a trailer from uhual. I think It's the best option. to buy one if you are lucky you'll find a trailer used for like $1500 plus insurance for the year + $150 plus finding some where to store it when you are not using it + $250 for a total of $1900. to rent one from uhaul to break even just on the cost of the insurance and storing for the year you would have to rent a trailer 26 times in the year. ya it suxs that u have to go pick it up and drop it off all the time but it's only for a short time till you save up for one you want.

For trials for the kids, as you said Sand Del Lee is a great option. We also have someone in the Club that lets Club members sometimes use his yard ( it's big) and trials on his property. right now with covid i think he is only doing invite only but he should be on the forums soon and hopefully will reply or go check out his post https://bma1.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2675&start=45
I know there are more options out there also but i don't know them very well i'll let some of the other guy speak to them and where they are.

Happy riding

Terry

Staff member
welcome to the sport and the BMA. I'm the guy with the trails in his back yard that encourages kids to come and ride so long as they bring a parent or guardian and a bike. My trails are available to you but that is not your issue right now.

If I could go back twenty years or so and do it all again I would re-mortgaged the house to be able to get two kids bikes and a trailer. I managed to get one kid bike and one crappy trailer but the lesson I learned is that a very large part of the appeal of this sport is sharing the experience. Whether its just playing follow-the-leader or racing, It's just not as fun to ride alone. It's not much fun for those waiting for a turn either. My kids don't ride now although both have learned how. This may have been a contributing factor.

The next thing I learned was that used kids bikes really hold there value. Almost like buying a house, it's very hard to loose money if you buy gently used and take care of the bikes. It becomes a trade in program where you get all your money back when it's time to sell. This is of course not true of new bikes. As you have found it can be hard to find small used motorcycles but that is probably just the time of year. If you can find two (or three) trail bikes and a trailer that will fit all three then you will have it made. I say 3 because you should consider a small trail bike for yourself. The three of you will be off exploring and making memories together. I don't know about the CX-7 but my Forester has a respectable towing capacity but only if the trailer has brakes. I added brakes to my trailer when I got this vehicle and so far it has worked very well. Start looking for a friend or relative that will store the trailer for you if you don't have the space. BTW, I don't pay anything extra in insurance for my trailer YMMV.

As for the ride-days in my trails, I'm not really doing "invite only", nor is it restricted to BMA members. What I'm doing is "First Reply - First Booked" following each ride day announcement. And I'm strictly limiting the number of guests to four at a time until Ontario raises the limit. I usually have my ride days on Saturdays but to find out when the next on is you need to have your email address in my list along with 90 or so others. So far this year I've been booking up solid within a few hours of each announcement. Anyone is welcome to add their name to my list.

PaulF

Thanks Ryan and Terry! I appreciate the thoughts you've passed on, some very useful things to consider.

mart242

I'll chip in... as a father of 2 kids who started riding with them 2 years ago. Honestly, a used Kendon is the way to go if you can find one if your garage is full. I used to fit 4 dirt bikes on it (full size, KLX140G, CRF125B, and CRF110) but now we're down to 3 bikes (no more CRF110). We did Terry's a few times to get them going and are now at Limerick Forest.

- Protective gear can be relatively cheap except for the fact that kids grow fast. I might have a few things to sell if your 10yo is small.
- The CRF110 is good to get them going but likely small for the 12yo so you'll need something larger not long after
- I bought new because used kids bike kept their value too much and I could get a new one for not much more
- Get something with an e-start for the kids
- LImerick forest is likely the best for you and the kids. Sand Del Lee is motocross. You want nice long trails to get them used to it.. and then progress slowly into the more difficult stuff. It takes time and patience.

After ~1 1/2 year of riding with the kids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ZqORfbYQk
(picture of trailer at the end)

Since then my 15yo has moved to the KLX140G. He's too tall for it but not strong enough for a full size one. And the little one has moved to the CRF125FB and learned the clutch... the bike is a bit heavy for him but he manages. He's getting the hang of the gears but that takes time.

Another thing that I'd recommend: intercoms so you can talk to them. It makes a world of a difference with regards to safety. Nothing worse than looking back and wondering where one went.. I backtracked and he walked out of the woods.. lost control and ended up really deep.. lol.

good luck

Trevd

Terry":3swizhcv said:
The next thing I learned was that used kids bikes really hold there value. Almost like buying a house, it's very hard to loose money if you buy gently used and take care of the bikes. It becomes a trade in program where you get all your money back when it's time to sell. This is of course not true of new bikes. As you have found it can be hard to find small used motorcycles but that is probably just the time of year.

Actually, it may also be true with new bikes... I just bought my son a great shape (other than a clogged pilot jet) 2017 Honda 110 for $2500. Service Ontario needed some extra paperwork so I had to track down the original bill of sale - turns out the original owner paid $2,539 (tax included) for it back in 2017. Honda had some sort of $400 off promo, so that helped his price. So, after the taxes I had to pay at Service Ontario, I ended up paying more for the bike last week than the original owner did 3 years ago. And I got a decent deal, considering how in demand the small bikes are these days.

So they definitely do hold their value.... I should have bought a new fuel injected one and saved me some carb cleaner.

Trevor

mart242

Trevd":23cr70ev said:
Terry":23cr70ev said:
Actually, it may also be true with new bikes... I just bought my son a great shape (other than a clogged pilot jet) 2017 Honda 110 for $2500.

Had I known that this year would be so crazy for dirt bikes I would have waited to sell my kids 2018 CRF110! I sold it at the end of last season to make room in the garage but this year really seems crazy. Dirt bikes are apparently difficult to find, dealers are sold out of many bikes.

There will hopefully be many good deals in the upcoming years due to people that don't stick with it...

Trevd

mart242":1mh4sw0i said:
Had I known that this year would be so crazy for dirt bikes I would have waited to sell my kids 2018 CRF110! I sold it at the end of last season to make room in the garage but this year really seems crazy. Dirt bikes are apparently difficult to find, dealers are sold out of many bikes.

Had I been smarter I would have bought your 110 last fall! But I didn't take into account that my son might grow over the winter, so the bike that was a bit on the small side last fall but still good, became way too small this spring. Which is why I became one of the poor saps looking for used dirt bikes this spring, seeing ads getting posted for what I figured was too much money, and then selling within hours. The guy I bought my son's new used 110 from said he was getting bombarded by emails before I arrived at his house.

It has been a crazy spring for that ....