Do I Need Insruance

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
I bought 2 dirt bikes last fall and am trying to figure out what I need to do to be legal to ride Calabogie and Limerick.

I believe I need green plates, and third party liability.

I got green plates last fall, and just purchases my OFTR membership.

Reading http://bma1.ca/join-now-s11.php I noticed that "Insurance coverage for property damage when you ride with BMA as a member".

Does that mean I don't need to purchase insurance if I limit my riding to Calabogie and Limerick?

Thanks,
Ross

tallies55

Hey Ross, insurance is mandatory to operate your vehicle anywhere other than your property. The basic insurance requirements are public liability and public damage. The penalty for operating a vehicle without insurance is presently $5000.

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
tallies55":h3s6n4sr said:
Hey Ross, insurance is mandatory to operate your vehicle anywhere other than your property. The basic insurance requirements are public liability and public damage. The penalty for operating a vehicle without insurance is presently $5000.

Thanks for the detail.

If I understand correctly BMA covers the public damage part and I am responsible for the public liability.

tenny80

offroad only insurance is really cheap. I've been debating converting my DRZ400S to offroad only but it would destroy the value of the bike so i'm going to hold off until I know for sure I am going to keep it.. got my eye on a KTM haha