Calabogie South Side Clean Up

pat74

Calabogie South Side Clean Up

Come and help out in Calabogie on the 14th of May.

What to bring: Folding saws / Hand Clippers / Lunch & Water. Small chain saws if you have one and are experienced. A GPS would also be handy to mark waypoints of areas needing extra work.

Date/time: 9:30 am until approximately 2-3:00 pm

Location: Staging area at Calabogie Highlands Golf Course, 981 Barryvale Road, see map below and to get directions

https://goo.gl/maps/G5qM49zvBms

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
My son and are debating participating in the clean up next weekend on May 13'th.

We are both new and have never rode Limerick, Larose, or Calabogie.

We would love to help, but my son's bike is only a 17" front tire, and 14" rear tire. It was mentioned that his bike may not be big enough to make it through the water. I am not sure I want to ride through water that deep yet either.

Any idea if we could be of assistance without committing to driving through water which is 2'-3' deep?

Thanks In Advance,
Ross

barbotte

lets hope it stop raining ... i spend the day sandbagging ....i am not sure if it will be ride-able by the week end
cheer

steph

Is the south side accessible by ATV?? My Xtrainer ain't here yet and the Inlaws are going to be in town!! I need a reason to skadadle!! lol

LoL

A good portion of the south side is ATV trails. If people who have ridden the south side already know where some downed trees are, it would be useful to get in there with a chainsaw.

I'll be seeing some riders tomorrow night, I'll ask who's ridden and if they know where any downed trees are.

barbotte

that would be cool if we could go with atv ..i would bring my 16 year old to go and help with the quad and i would ride my new christini (if it ever show up in time )
also would it count for community hour for school ?
thanks

ender

I'll be there to help too, assuming it's not pouring rain. looking forward to getting out, been a long time since I've been down those trails. I have a small chainsaw that I'll bring, but not sure how to strap it on my bike... :?

Ross, if you have not ridden Calabogie before now is not the time as the conditions are wet and the trails are more difficult than Larose and Limerick. We chatted at the skill camp. Thanks for volunteering but ride Limerick when it is open and get some more seat time before going to Calabogie. Your son's bike is too small for the water obstacles. I will see you at the Limerick Orientation later in the month and we can discuss further.

See you soon

Chris

rossw":2cwfjdch said:
My son and are debating participating in the clean up next weekend on May 13'th.

We are both new and have never rode Limerick, Larose, or Calabogie.

We would love to help, but my son's bike is only a 17" front tire, and 14" rear tire. It was mentioned that his bike may not be big enough to make it through the water. I am not sure I want to ride through water that deep yet either.

Any idea if we could be of assistance without committing to driving through water which is 2'-3' deep?

Thanks In Advance,
Ross

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply.

I will sit this one out and definitely see you at the Orientation!

Christopher":16gckpz9 said:
Ross, if you have not ridden Calabogie before now is not the time as the conditions are wet and the trails are more difficult than Larose and Limerick. We chatted at the skill camp. Thanks for volunteering but ride Limerick when it is open and get some more seat time before going to Calabogie. Your son's bike is too small for the water obstacles. I will see you at the Limerick Orientation later in the month and we can discuss further.

See you soon

Chris

Hi all, I am organizing the clean up for this sat. I have checked out some of the trails and it looks there is deadfall but not too much. There is a lot of water. A few points based on the above threads:

For Ross, now is not the time to check out Calabogie for the first time. Your son's bike is too small for the water crossings and he needs more seat time before trying Calabogie which is way more difficult than Limerick. I suggest you go to the Limerick Orientation on 28 May and we can discuss further.

I spoke with the Highlands and they are open for coffee and breakfast at 0800. We will set up registration inside.

Parking. If wet please park on the road or in the large parking lot and not on the grass as we do not want to put ruts in it. I will be there relatively early so look for Roy's jeep and trailer and park near it.

I would like to have the riders briefing at 0930 so be ready to ride then. We will break into groups based on skill level and trail knowledge. I hope to have a few intermediate groups and one expert but it all depends on who shows up.

As to the ATV, based on what I have ridden so far I think its utility will be limited. The dual tracks are clear so we will be concentrating on the single tracks where ATVs do not go. I think we should stick to bikes. If someone does bring an ATV they should be familiar with the trail network and have a GPS so we can vector them to a certain location.

As to bikes, bring your dirt bike only. The conditions are not suitable for dual sport bikes over 113 kg/250 lbs dry weight. In other words KTM 500 EXC (or equivalent) and below are suitable but not KLR 650s, BMW 800 etc.

We will go rain or shine unless it is an absolute deluge. The forecast is for light rain but this may improve as the system approaches from the west.

That is it for now. I will monitor this page if there are any further questions.

Chris Davis

longzook

good meeting and riding with you, had a great day and only fell over once. good meeting everyone. thanks again Ron

ender

+1, Great meeting you all, had an excellent (if a little wet) ride and looking forward to the rest of the season on some deadfall-free trails!