Calabogie for Kids?

babzog

Hey folks, any trails in Calabogie north suitable for children to ride? Would like to spend a good part of a day out with my son (he's 8, riding a small bike, he's been okay in Limerick but some trails there, like 1103, are too tough a challenge to be fun for him) but don't want to frustrate him with daunting challenges. Seems most of the organized rides preclude anyone under 16 with strong warnings but, is the bogie really all that bad or, are there some good, family friendly trails too?

pat74

You could probably ride Calabogie south and stay under hydro line, but it is sometimes difficult because of lots of lose rocks in some hills, there is also ATV tracks that are pretty nice. I"m thinking of bring my kid there too.
Parking at the High fall and going on Bomb trail

babzog

The big hills still intimidate him so I help him up / down those and stuff that's really wet, muddy and rooty is too much of a challenge to be fun for him yet.

We're thinking of coming up there on the weekend of the 23rd (staying at Ferguson Lake campground with friends) so a good Saturday morn and/or aft of riding would be awesome (Sun is fishing day). Are there a couple of loops from High Falls that would be good and different riding? Might be nice to go out for a couple, head back to the bogie for lunch, then out again.

bohomoto

Hi babzog,

Were you and your boy at the training day at Limerick? I think I remember you. On another occasion, my wife and I were just leaving from limerick when you and your son were just coming back from a first ride down the 1103. I congratulated him on just riding one of the most challenging trails at Limerick.

Any way, I have some suggestions for you.

South Side:

One is to go down Bompass Trail until it turns to single track and the turn around and come back. That would be a good first adventure for your little guy. Much different than Limirick but still manageable. IF he wants more, Bartraw trail meets Bobmpass just north of Bartraw Lake. You could take him down there until you hit a hunt camp. Past the hunt camp, the trail becomes a little too challenging for right now but something he could work towards next season.

There are a few single-track trails that he could mange on the east side of Taddy Hill Rd. before they Y split into Bompass Tr. and Barry Lake Tr. Only about 1km in total but could be a fun addition.

On the north side:

The only trail I can think of for you both to ride is called Pit Bull. It begins at the gravel pit parking lot. It can be challenging in spots but doable. That trail meets St. Pierre Lake Lane, which is an access road (with very little traffic.). You can follow it back to the gravel pit. That's about an 8km loop.

I would be happy to take you both one time but I'm tied up until at least the 16th.

One thing you should know is that there is more ATV traffic in Calabogie than Limerick, so keep that in mind. Some of the ATV riders like to go fast.

Another thing is that many of the trails in Calabogie are linked together by cottage roads and logging roads. It is not uncommon to meet automotive and truck traffic on many of the trails networks.

The suggestions I gave you are far clear of any roads. But there are not too many other options that I know of.

Blake

babzog

bohomoto":cjstbqy6 said:
Hi babzog,

Were you and your boy at the training day at Limerick? I think I remember you. On another occasion, my wife and I were just leaving from limerick when you and your son were just coming back from a first ride down the 1103. I congratulated him on just riding one of the most challenging trails at Limerick.

Hey, yeah that was us! He's still not forgotten that run down the 1103. He laughs now, but he has no intention of riding that one anytime soon! I rode it again with my cousin, that time, with a bit more spirit (and a few IMGONNADIE moments!) It's a bit of work! LOL

Any way, I have some suggestions for you.

South Side:

One is to go down Bompass Trail until it turns to single track and the turn around and come back. That would be a good first adventure for your little guy. Much different than Limirick but still manageable. IF he wants more, Bartraw trail meets Bobmpass just north of Bartraw Lake. You could take him down there until you hit a hunt camp. Past the hunt camp, the trail becomes a little too challenging for right now but something he could work towards next season.

There are a few single-track trails that he could mange on the east side of Taddy Hill Rd. before they Y split into Bompass Tr. and Barry Lake Tr. Only about 1km in total but could be a fun addition.

These would be starting at the High Falls? I'll have to study the map a bit more to get a sense of where you're referring.

On the north side:

The only trail I can think of for you both to ride is called Pit Bull. It begins at the gravel pit parking lot. It can be challenging in spots but doable. That trail meets St. Pierre Lake Lane, which is an access road (with very little traffic.). You can follow it back to the gravel pit. That's about an 8km loop.

Got it. Hard to tell from google, but it appears the trail follows the road to St Pierre Lake Ln then returns via a bush trail, is that correct?

I would be happy to take you both one time but I'm tied up until at least the 16th.

Awesome! We should be there on the 23rd, so if you're free, maybe we can hook up then?

One thing you should know is that there is more ATV traffic in Calabogie than Limerick, so keep that in mind. Some of the ATV riders like to go fast.

Another thing is that many of the trails in Calabogie are linked together by cottage roads and logging roads. It is not uncommon to meet automotive and truck traffic on many of the trails networks.

The suggestions I gave you are far clear of any roads. But there are not too many other options that I know of.

Blake

Thanks Blake! We've done a bit of road running through Limerick, so he's getting a bit used to it. Still, the ATV's whipping through cross-trails might be a surprise.. just have to stay sharp.

Are there published trail maps available? I was looking for the "Bartraw trail you mentioned - and I found the lake - but I don't see the trail marked.

Cheers!
Jon