Bike advice for the wife

tenny80

Hey Folks,

A few months back I bought my wife a Yamaha XT225 to learn how to ride on. She got her M license and did the safety course (she did not pass). We went out riding a couple times... and she's just not getting it.. she drops the bike constantly, etc.

I took a deposit tonight on the XT225 and am looking for something else for her.

She's vertically limited... lol she's about 4'11 140lbs. We went to the local honda dealer and they had a CRF125 (non big wheel) with a 28" seat height and she was on her tippy toes.

I am at a loss for what to replace the XT with.. THe 125 would be about 40lbs lighter. It's about the best option that I've come up with but would love to hear some ideas.. she is determined to ride... and I don't want to discourage that but I cant help but think she would be safer on an ATV... the problem with that is I don't have a trailer(or a place to store it) and I don't think i'd get an atv and my DRZ400 in my F150.

Terry

Staff member
The new 125 looks very nice but if I understand the rules, If you got an older bike from prior to 2011 such as a CRF150F then I think it can be converted to a dual sport bike with a blue plate. The other way to go is to have the XT lowered properly but that will cost over $1,000 if done right with shims to reduce shock and fork travel. Have a look through this ADV thread for other ideas. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/t ... de.669666/ If you would like to have a place to practice on easy trails perhaps you two would like to try a ride at my place. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2675 I have a CRF150F you are welcome to ride

tenny80

Sorry I should have mentioned I already lowered the XT250, the issue with it was IMO as much weight as it was height.

I've been doing a lot of reading and the 150F seems like a much better bike then the 125F, I just worry it's going to be to big .

Thank you for the offer to ride but unfortunately I am away that weekend with my sons baseball and cannot make it.

manotickmike

Tried a TW200?
Possibly the most docile, compliant, capable bike I have ever taught someone to ride on.
(edit. Just realised I replied to a thread from the dead...)

RLefebvre

I know this is an old thread but...

I have a CRF150F for my wife. It's still a bit much for her (5'6") to learn. She's can ride it but isn't super confident. Have thought about going down to a 125cc. If the 125cc is still too big for your wife, the 150 will be even worse. It's 250lbs.

Also note for anybody reading this, I just tried to buy insurance for my wife, but they won't write the policy as they say that 150cc and smaller is a kids bike, and they don't insure kids bikes. I'd have to move her up to a 250cc which is even worse. Seems our wives are being deprived the right to safely learn to ride off-road on public land.

mart242

The old CRF150 are super heavy. Maybe look into the KLX140G.

And yes, insurance is a pain, but mention it's off road only. You might have to try a few insurance companies.