Backpack diet - Christmas list!

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
My backpack comes in at 16 lbs with 2.5L of water, tools, snacks and emergency stuff for the trail.
On long rides I couldn't take it anymore, so the search began to purge weight.
I managed to cut out 4 pounds, 2.5 came from tools.

I discovered the Leatherman Crunch, replacing several tools in my kit.
Highlights: Regular pliers, adjustable pliers (vice-grip), cutters, 3 flat screwdrivers, #1 Phillips, serrated knife, and a 1/4 hex bit drive (you can drive hex and torx bits, along with sockets with the right adapter)

The motion pro titanium combination wrenches were also on my list but always too expensive for a couple of grams.
FYI Fortnine has the 10mm at 50% right now.

"Honey, what do you want for Christmas this year?" A Leatherman Crunch!

Braaaaaaap!

mart242

Why not strap the tools to the bike? I really hate having anything on me. I only ride limerick so don't bother with tools for now but know that this will have to change at some point and I dread having to lug tools on my back. I use an Ogio Flight Vest but am thinking that the tools at waist height may be better but still, if I could mount everything on the bike...

stephlal

Braaaaap!
Staff member
A tail bag was my setup for 2 years on the 4 stroke, it worked.
My skill level progressed and I moved to 2 stroke.
I tested it with and without the tools on the bike and noticed a difference with how the bike maneuvered.
The weight coupled with safety reasons, harder to ditch a bike when you have a bag catching your butt, I ditched it all together.

mart242

And I guess a front fender bag makes steering more difficult? As for a rear bag I'm surprised it made handling worse, I thought that having that extra weight low instead of in a backpack would be better. But yes, it might be in the way once in a while..