500 exc... too big for the area

Jay12

While I realize that this question is dependent on peoples skill level, I'd like to upgrade from my 250 XC to a bike that can do both on and off street riding. Just wondering if a KTM 500 exc is going to be too much of a beast and whether or not forum members ride them in Calabogie and Limerick?

Thx.

Dutch

A real skinny guy rides a 450 all over that weighs more...but he struggles with the kicker.

I rode a 530 for few years... it was hard yakka.

I have a plated 300 now that is a supreme urban commuter...plenty of thums up from the leos.

zedro

Jay12":3f79semu said:
While I realize that this question is dependent on peoples skill level, I'd like to upgrade from my 250 XC to a bike that can do both on and off street riding. Just wondering if a KTM 500 exc is going to be too much of a beast and whether or not forum members ride them in Calabogie and Limerick?

Thx.

It wouldn't be "too big", but certainly less enjoyable/more tiring in singletrack especially (definitely more of a bear on technical climbs). What about the 350EXC or Beta 390? Those are known as the 'Goldylocks' bikes.

If you're keen on a big bore, consider the Beta 480/500, its seat is lower, might be more manageable (rode one for a week in Gaspe, never tried the 500EXC but it is a tall bike).

I am 5'8" at best and agree with Zedro. The 500 is tall. I have modified my seat and that has given me another inch. The biggest problem I have had with the 500 on slower technical trails is overheating (I do not run a fan). Some days are better than others and it depends on the terrain and weather. It is great for flowing two track and logging roads. I find it manageable on the technical single track (White Trails) but requires some fancy footwork, muscle and a touch of throttle to tame! I bought a 300 to ride single track and keep the ol' 500 for reserved for DS type rides. I have used the 500 for commuting and without the cush drive the bike ate sprockets and chains. I have no reservations in taking the 500 to Limerick (as I enjoy the challenge to keep up with lighter smaller bikes with skilled pilots). I pick and choose the days it goes to Calabogie based on what area we are riding.
I hope you are now thoroughly confused!

lcrx

The 500EXC was my first bike, I really enjoyed Limerick and Calabogie but the bike shines on wider, faster trails. I also took it to the motocross track and ran a few fmsq races with it, I really enjoyed it.

Even if the bike isn't that heavy on paper it did feel like a brick compared to lighter 2-strokes. Still, at 6'1" 260lbs (at the time) my rider to bike weight ratio meant it wasn't too bad for me.

The problem in my case was the power. Too much of it combined with no experience meant that I spent a lot of energy fighting against the bike.

For a city commuter it might be fun but I originally bought the bike thinking I'd ride it to the trails and after buying the bike, my next purchase was a trailer. I really hated the highway, plus my agressive tires melted in no time.

I do have a few videos at Limerick and Calabogie with my 500 on youtube: http://youtube.com/lcrx121 , just remember that I am a novice rider!