2 Stroke Fuel Oil Ratio

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
It seems some people go richer than the manufacturer recommended fuel oil ratio.

Is it to be safe? Easier math?

What do you do and recommend?

Thanks
Ross

jmajor

Did you acquire a 2 stroke Ross??

I was using about 50:1 for the first break in period, but I've switched back to the KTM recommended 60:1 (for my specific bike) for the last 2 tanks!

Jason
KTM XCW 250

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
I did, I am a weak man. I bought Rob's 2013 300 XC-W.

Thanks for the info on your ratio's.

jmajor

That's awesome! Look forward to seeing you on it! Will likely be at Limerick on Sunday or Monday!

I find the biggest pain is storing gas, you don't want to pre-mix too much, and then you have to use the full jug/can before you can mix another batch! I bought a metal container for keeping the un-mixed high octane gas (95 initially, now running 94), and then a smaller mixing jug i'll bring with me to the rides. Holds about 10l, where my metal can holds 20l.

of course emptying from the metal can is a pain, end up spilling more than I care to admit, need to find a better way of transferring between the 2....

Jason

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
We are planning Limerick for Saturday and then Calabogie on Sunday if my comfort level is high enough. Worst case I bring the 230F.

How long can pre-mix be stored? Like are we talking days or weeks?

jmajor

That is the topic of much debate, as well as what to store gas in!

I'd personally say weeks, even upwards of a month, but I try to get through mine within 2-3 weeks. the regular gas can sit for 4-6 weeks before I use it up...your mileage may vary! lol.

Jason

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. I did some googling also and you are right... it is a big debate.

We have three bikes and a lawn tractor, so we go through straight gas quickly, I am going to say 20 litres every couple weeks at most. Only 1 of the 3 bikes is 2 stroke so I will need to watch the premix.

jmajor

Oh yeah, don't forget to run the highest octane gas you can get, for a couple reasons:

- Ensures that there will be no ethanol present (pump 10 or 20 l of the high octane into your car first, then fill your jug, just to be sure you don't get any lower octane left in the hose)
- Since you are adding oil to the gas, you will actually be lowering the octane! so start with the highest octane you can get!

Enjoy!!

J

rossw

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I use premium from the station near me, and it does not contain any ethanol.

zedro

Premix also stabilizes fuel, you're better off mixing than leaving it sit in a plastic jug. Metal is of course better, and modern 2 stroke semi/full synthetic oil will sit fine mixed.

Safe bet is to not exceed the ratio listed for your oil or bike, so if Lucas semi-synth says 50:1 and KTM says 60:1, just stick to 50:1. For trail riding (lugging) guys have been using 80:1 to 100:1 oils (Saber) no issues, but it's a matter of comfort. Guys that are on the pipe and riding deep sand all day will want lower ratios and higher flash points, but there's no need for normal riders to go below 50:1.

Jessie

zedro":3cqzftca said:
Premix also stabilizes fuel, you're better off mixing than leaving it sit in a plastic jug. Metal is of course better, and modern 2 stroke semi/full synthetic oil will sit fine mixed.

Safe bet is to not exceed the ratio listed for your oil or bike, so if Lucas semi-synth says 50:1 and KTM says 60:1, just stick to 50:1. For trail riding (lugging) guys have been using 80:1 to 100:1 oils (Saber) no issues, but it's a matter of comfort. Guys that are on the pipe and riding deep sand all day will want lower ratios and higher flash points, but there's no need for normal riders to go below 50:1.

Words of wisdom Zedro, everything you say here reflects all my reading on the matter in Thumpertalk or Beta Forum discussions from knowledgeable riders that I have read over the years. Mind you, I am a very poor mechanic where it is important for me to read a lot and I have friends with knowledge and with great info like yours! Low flash point for slow riding or technical riding was good to mention. :wink:

manotickmike

Just for clarity, straight (pure?) gas is 91.
Anything higher, is usually "enhanced" with that infernal corn booze.
My sources (tested) are Costco and Drummonds.

Gord

manotickmike":39uockte said:
Just for clarity, straight (pure?) gas is 91.
Anything higher, is usually "enhanced" with that infernal corn booze.
My sources (tested) are Costco and Drummonds.

I was going to argue with you, since I have used Sunoco 94 and (after buyout) Petro-Canada 94 specifically because they there was no ethanol. But looked it up and apparently that changed at some point. From Petro-Canada FAQ:

Does Ultra 94 contain ethanol? Does Petro-Canada still offer an ethanol-free gasoline?

Ultra 94 contains ethanol. Due to the fact that various fuel grades are blended at the point of sale, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada.