New/Novice ride nights (Thursdays 5pm)

jbreedon

There seems to be more and more requests from new or novice riders for an opportunity to go out and learn some of the trails. Starting next Thursday (July 15th) I can lead a group through Limerick starting at 5pm. I can run it most Thursday's for the remainder of the summer. We've done a couple of test rides and I think we have a format that will work for most new riders. I have a volunteer to help sweep the group and I must say he is one of the best coaches I've seen. If you're interested just reply to this post so we know who to expect. The goal is to provide a low pressure opportunity to learn, ask questions and ride at an easy pace.

Big thanks to Craig for helping out.

Jeff

OBR911

G’day all. New to this forum and a beginner mature (49 yrs old) rider. I have a very extensive mtn biking background and have always wanted to get into riding dirt bikes off road. Bought a 2017 Suzuki DRZ400s back in April and have been mainly riding the roads to get used to the controls and basic riding. My main goal is to ride off road and enduro style.
I am not a member of the club (yet) or OFTR so am not sure if I can even ride at Limerick - I understand I need a membership to ride but see that there is an option for a two day pass at Limerick and Larose (very familiar with both areas from riding mtn bikes). Is this all I need to ride there for these intro rides?
Thanks for taking the time to read and consideration. Cheers, Craig

jbreedon

G’day all. New to this forum and a beginner mature (49 yrs old) rider. I have a very extensive mtn biking background and have always wanted to get into riding dirt bikes off road. Bought a 2017 Suzuki DRZ400s back in April and have been mainly riding the roads to get used to the controls and basic riding. My main goal is to ride off road and enduro style.
I am not a member of the club (yet) or OFTR so am not sure if I can even ride at Limerick - I understand I need a membership to ride but see that there is an option for a two day pass at Limerick and Larose (very familiar with both areas from riding mtn bikes). Is this all I need to ride there for these intro rides?
Thanks for taking the time to read and consideration. Cheers, Craig
Hi Craig, You do need to be an OFTR member to ride both Limerick and Larose. The membership is one of the most reasonably priced ones around. If you order it now you would just need to have proof (the confirmation email) if asked to see it by the OPP. In addition you need to be plated and insured.

Hope to see you Thursday.

Jeff

OBR911

Hi Jeff, thanks for the quick reply. I’m working this Thursday but would love to come out the next week.

Dageonyar

I ride a dual sport DR650.. pretty close to zero offroad experience (I white knuckled through Limerick once lol) would this be suitable for me? Currently have the stock 80/20 death wings that came on the bike. I do have my oftr and bma memberships ;) also an older rider here lol 47 years young.

jbreedon

I ride a dual sport DR650.. pretty close to zero offroad experience (I white knuckled through Limerick once lol) would this be suitable for me? Currently have the stock 80/20 death wings that came on the bike. I do have my oftr and bma memberships ;) also an older rider here lol 47 years young.
Definitely suitable for you. We will ride at a pace that is comfortable for everyone.

betaman

There seems to be more and more requests from new or novice riders for an opportunity to go out and learn some of the trails. Starting next Thursday (July 15th) I can lead a group through Limerick starting at 5pm. I can run it most Thursday's for the remainder of the summer. We've done a couple of test rides and I think we have a format that will work for most new riders. I have a volunteer to help sweep the group and I must say he is one of the best coaches I've seen. If you're interested just reply to this post so we know who to expect. The goal is to provide a low pressure opportunity to learn, ask questions and ride at an easy pace.

Jeff
Hello Jeff, I am novice/intermediate but would love to come out a ride with others. Also learning opportunity would be great. I do not think I can make this Thursday but will plan for future dates. I may also bring my son out if he is able to manage his work. We are not fast riders. Thanks for running the group, very generous of you and Craig.

jbreedon

I'll see if I can move my work shift around. Where will you be meeting?
5:00 at the pit. I drive a dark grey Chevy Silverado with a Beta 300 in the back. I'll try and remember to bring my canopy so its easier to find us. I'm old so no promises I'll remember.

Dageonyar

Got my work shift fixed. Weather is looking good (knock on wood). See you there :) And thank you!!

Pierre
2020 DR650 - stock

Robw

Planning on attending tonight but may have to leave ~6:30 in order to beat thunderstorms home (biking in from Smiths Falls area).

Eli

Thank you guys! It was a really great first ride (better that I hoped for) and I really appreciated the tips :)
Looking forward to next Thursday!
Eli

Dageonyar

Awesome time guys. Thank you so much!! Just a few butt clenching moments on the single track... hope to get better lol think I'll be investing in some engine Armour sooner rather than later.

Scott

Jeff
Hi Jeff

Can I help. I’ll try to make it next Thursday.

jbreedon

Looks like the weather is cooperating again this week. Should be prefect for the ride. We will meet at the pit at 5:00 again. Hope to see everyone there.

charlesc

Hi Jeff,
I, too, am a beginner rider (DR650) and will try to join the ride on Thursday (July 22).
Thanks very much for hosting and helping us noobies out!

Charles

Dageonyar

Thank you again Jeff and team! Tonight was awesome. A few hiccups, I hope everyone is feeling OK in the morning. Rob may have a few sore ribs I'm sure. :( what time did you guys finally wrap up? I can try to stay longer next week hopefully :)